Rear hatch hardware mount locations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just fabbed some barn doors and installed a rear hatch on my original hard top. These replaced the ambulance doors.
I have searched up and down and can't find the measurements for where to mount the strut mounts. I can figure out the strikers location based on where the hatch lies, but I don't know how far above the strikers(or the bottom of the hard top) and at what angle to drill the hole into the jam for the strut mounts.

If anyone can measure this for me off their rig I would appreciate it. There Are two mounting holes for the strut mounts but are they horizontal to the ground?

Thanks

image.jpg

Thanks in advance

I'll be around mine tomorrow night. If you still need one, I'll take some pictures and measurements.

Not trying to beat mdsims, this is an experiment for me. I came across this request for dimensions and have never uploaded any pics since the Mud upgrade. Previously any pics I posted took a major effort on my part, plus lots of help from my son and daughter. This was a good opportunity to experiment, and so far posting pics is much easier. I did this all on my own! However, I did double up on the first pic somehow, and so far have not been able to figure out how to delete one copy.

Back to the subject of the request. This is my lower hatch support mount in my early 1971 cruiser. It is not the original strut, and it has been several years since I did the modification so I can't say for sure that it is exactly like the original. However, I am pretty sure I used the stock mounting point for the modified support mount.

It is about 6 3/16 inch from the separation between the body and the top to the center of the lower screw. And it is about 13/16 inch from the bend in the top where the gasket touches to the same screw. As I remember from when I was doing the modification there were captive nuts inside the top.

Looking forward to the pics that oogs will post to see if his mount is in the same location as mine. By the way, sorry for such a dirty cruiser. It has been setting for about four years with a cracked head and I didn't realize it was so dirty until I opened the hatch.

Hope this helps.

Don

IMGP1277.JPG IMGP1277.JPG

IMGP1278.JPG

Thanks Don. Will drill and mount and post the results.
Much appreciated.
Steve (oogs)

Thanks guys.

On your rigs, are the screw holes for the striker are in the middle of the jam or offset a bit?

Here is another angle, this time measured from the bottom lip of the hardtop. I didn't realize your barn doors were not oem, so this is a better reference. Also, centering photos, the latch is more outboard than centered.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Going from mdsims pics and measurements I'd have to say that it is for sure that I used the stock bolt holes in the top when I changed to newer style lift cylinders. I remember for sure that I did remake the mounting/fastening hardware for the newer pressurized cylinders though.

I checked the location of the striker. The screw centers were at 3/4 inch from the gasket sealing surface. I didn't even think to look to see if they were centered in the jamb.

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom