Rear Hatch Glass Leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a leak that seems to be coming from the bottom weather seal on the rear hatch glass. How tough is it to replace the rear glass weather stripping? I am not currently seeing any of the rust that seems to appear in that area that many have shown. So i want to get this taken care of before it has time to rust.

I have had a suggestion, and i don't think it's a real honest way to fix it, but, to throw a brick through the rear glass and turn it in on insurance, let a pro fix it, pay deductable. :eek:

I wouldn't recommend that... I'm going thru hell trying to find new glass. That and most insurance companies will not pay for a factory peice of glass if the veh is more than 2 yrs old. They will only buy aftermarket... however, I'm finding that they don't make aftermarket LC glass...

I can't say for certain since I've not done the rear hatch galss seal on a LC, but on other vehicles replacement is easily accomplished with a helper, a long piece of string and some silicone spray.

Charlie

From FSM:

INSTALLATION
HINT:
Install the glass and weatherstrip in the same manner as the windshield.
1. CLEAN BODY AND GLASS
2. INSTALL WEATHERSTRIP ON GLASS
3. INSTALL BACK DOOR GLASS
4. FIX IN GLASS
5. APPLY ADHESIVE
Part No. 08833–00030 or equivalent
6. CLEAN SEALER SURFACE
7. INSPECT FOR LEAKS AND REPAIR
Part No. 08833–00030 or equivalent
8. CONNECT DEFOGGER WIRE CONNECTORS
Connect the connector to the glass.
9. CONNECT WIPER ARM
Torque: 5.4 N·m (55 kgf·cm, 48 in.·lbf)

CharlieS said:
I can't say for certain since I've not done the rear hatch galss seal on a LC, but on other vehicles replacement is easily accomplished with a helper, a long piece of string and some silicone spray.

Charlie

I was thumbing through the FSM, but i'm a little hesitant about trying it. Plus, i don't have a garage, so if i don't get it, i'm in trouble with winter/rain/sleet/ice/snow/cold.

Looks like the LC calls for adhesive. I've only done a similar replacement on a VW golf.

The helper is just to hold the glass in position as the person inside the car pulls the string out which pulls the lip of the gasket over the metal edge of the window frame. Silicone is used as a lubricant to help the gasket slide over the metal. It is really not a difficult job. One banana at most.

However, if you're working outside this time of year it might be a cold job.

Charlie

Have you called safelite for an estimate to have them come due it in the parking lot while your at work?
It can't be that much just to reseal.
I am guessing $50

fzj80kidpen said:
Have you called safelite for an estimate to have them come due it in the parking lot while your at work?
I am guessing $50

I haven't, but good idea. I just figured if they had to take the glass out it would be pretty expensive. I'll give that a shot.

fzj80kidpen said:
I am guessing $50

I had mine done (re-installed to correct a leak) by an on-site company like that down here. It took the guy about 45 minutes, if that is any indication of how much a service call might cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom