Rear Glass Options (and defroster) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My defroster is dead and after testing it, it is really too far gone to repair. I was looking at the Frost Fighter kits, which are fine, but they don't fit as well as I would like so I am trying to avoid it if possible. What I wanted to know is if I found a rear glass from a donor, does the defroster on the 80 Land Cruiser have a history of going out or if I find a working one, is it a good bet that it will work for a while? I got a price for a new replacement from one of the common well known places and replacement cost is over $600. Pretty steep. I really only hope to do this once so that might be my option, but for that price, I was looking for all the ideas I could get.

There's really not much to it. Just a simple circuit, you could get a donor one but I have heard replacing the rear glass is a pita.

It's only a +/- that causes the defrost. You would need to verify that the donor actually works, best bet is with a ir thermometer to make sure the temp is changing across the whole panel.

Did your defroster wires corrode or break? Are the plugs good and working?

It’s not the lead wires it’s the actual grid. It is just extremely deteriorated. No obvious breaks but doing a voltage drop test across the grid it just goes to nearly nothing on almost every line. I would definitely check the donor window but before I did that I wanted to check and see if it was a known issue with the 80 series or if the chances of getting a good/bad 30 year old window was the same as most cars out there.

It’s not the lead wires it’s the actual grid. It is just extremely deteriorated. No obvious breaks but doing a voltage drop test across the grid it just goes to nearly nothing on almost every line. I would definitely check the donor window but before I did that I wanted to check and see if it was a known issue with the 80 series or if the chances of getting a good/bad 30 year old window was the same as most cars out there.
depends where the glass comes from- Mine is in great shape but the PO owned a car wash.... I would just be more worried about trying to change that piece of glass since the windshield was a huge pain in the arss...

Yeah I decided not to try that again. It would be worth it to me to hire someone to put that thing in. I agree. It was a terrible experience. Totally worth paying a couple hundred bucks for someone with the tools and experience. Which goes with part of my question. I can get a new (aftermarket) window with defroster installed for $650. Super high to me but if an old OEM in good condition is probably going to cost me about $300 +/- shipped I assume and a couple hundred to install, then I could have just answered my own question. Might be worth an extra $100 to just get the aftermarket and be done with it. That is assuming I am right on that total guess on the cost of a donor glass. At least I have till winter to really decide. But this goes along with some work I am trying to get done with a new interior.

Yeah I decided not to try that again. It would be worth it to me to hire someone to put that thing in. I agree. It was a terrible experience. Totally worth paying a couple hundred bucks for someone with the tools and experience. Which goes with part of my question. I can get a new (aftermarket) window with defroster installed for $650. Super high to me but if an old OEM in good condition is probably going to cost me about $300 +/- shipped I assume and a couple hundred to install, then I could have just answered my own question. Might be worth an extra $100 to just get the aftermarket and be done with it. That is assuming I am right on that total guess on the cost of a donor glass. At least I have till winter to really decide. But this goes along with some work I am trying to get done with a new interior.
Where were you able to find the aftermarket rear glass?

No. I decided to go the route of the heater replacement. Frost Fighter kit. I haven’t gotten around to installing it yet though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom