Rear gate tire mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has any one out there taken a rear tire carrier off of a 4runner or something similar and made it work on a 80 series? Just thinking. The wrecking yard had about 15 4Runners with these carriers and I was wondering if I could make one of these work.

You could, but you would have to add reinforcements to the body where it attaches. It's not really worth it because most of those carriers are too weak to carry a heavy MT tire like a 33"-35" tire. You can do the spare tire winch mod and stuff a 33" tire underneath pretty well.

Spare-Tyre-Rack-2.jpg
China 4x4

Looks like some have are doing this just not in this country...

Unless your 80 came with a factory installed carrier like posted below, I would steer clear of any body bolt on aftermarket like that. ^^^

Last edited:
It was a factory option in some parts of the world. However, those cruises have reinforcements where it attaches. Search and you will find information in greater detail.

315/75R16 on factory swingout. Rock solid.

DSC02338.jpg

Finderscuba, any ideas on where to source that factory swingout? And cost? Thanks.

How hard would it be to add a little structure to where it mounts? The Chinese ones are cheap. WAY cheaper than a rear bumper...

subspd said:
How hard would it be to add a little structure to where it mounts? The Chinese ones are cheap. WAY cheaper than a rear bumper...

It's actually easy. All you need is the upper and lower inside mounts that need to be installed. The lower mount is bolted on. The upper mount has to be spot welded. Tricky, but possible. I did it to mines in 1.5 hrs. I sourced mines from Canada. Mines is from a hdj81

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom