Rear fuel tank questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pardion

SILVER Star
Threads
I just got this in a parts trade, It's the coolest rear FJ40 tank I have seen. Does anyone know who made it? @Downey @whitey45 @65swb45 @cruiseroutfit @orangefj45
Tig welded Stainless Steel, 19"X27"X7" deep has v shaped baffles
DSC04476.JPG
DSC04477.JPG
DSC04478.JPG
from the weld marks, Heavy 45lbs.
Fill tube, vent or suction tube, no hole for fuel sender. Calculates out to 14.7 gallons. Just excellent workmanship! Thanks for any info, John

One off custom John

My '71 FJ40 build (and my wife, who has to sit on the fuel tank) might like that.

I had a co-worker in Livermore who had fabricated one out of stainless steel for his '76 FJ40, and said he could fabricate one for me, but I left the company before I had a chance to take him up on it. He was an excellent welder.

@peesalot just posted up that he’s looking for something. Your tank may be shallow enough, and his rig is tall enough for his rear axle to go under it. :idea:

Nah, I thought that too but the tank looks to be very close to the size of the NWMP tank, maybe 2 " smaller but that's not enough.

John, my guess is the guy who made that tank did not think of some mounting problems he would encounter, particularly the floor brace that is going to give the roof of that tank fits. Yep, you could design around that problem, but it will make the tank hang that much lower with no extra fuel capacity gain- - -just saying.

John, my guess is the guy who made that tank did not think of some mounting problems he would encounter, particularly the floor brace that is going to give the roof of that tank fits. Yep, you could design around that problem, but it will make the tank hang that much lower with no extra fuel capacity gain- - -just saying.
Thanks Jim, This would not be a good over the counter "bolt on" feature. I'm thinking a person that either wants to remove their stock tank and use a rear, or a trail rig that can easily remove that rather large floor brace and make a new hat channel, lower profile that would suck this tank to the body. I use a drop box in my rigs full of spare parts where a rear tank would go because it's easier to get gas from another traveler, than axles, knuckles, hoses, belts, fuel pump, u-bolts, tire repair kit, steering box, distributor, coil, jack stand, and 2 ammo boxes full of... nuts, bolts, gaskets, seals bearings Tie rod ends, hem joints, steering u-joints. driveline u-joints, and a beer or two. Thanks for the input. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom