Rear FF Axle Differences; Date Codes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Aweright, I am running a homebrew narrowed 1994 FZJ80 FF rear elocking axle with disk brakes under my 1977 FJ52 single cab. Of course, I picked this chunk up from a part-out rig a few years ago. I however, did not get the donor rigs DOM other than the model year(1994). it seems that in August of 1994, when the model year changover happened, that the rear axle hub bearings changed PNs as well. I have been trying to ascertain what aspects about the hub changed, and why the subsequent part change happened. IE, does the newer model hub have larger inner or outer dimensions, or both. IOW, do the 94 spindle and the 95 spindle share the same specs(so the hub itself could be used on either spindle), or are the spindles different enough that the correct hub must be used for a given vintage of spindle? I am under the impression that the front wheel bearings for disk brake older rigs are the same PNs for use with the fzj80 rear FF up to july 94. I would really like to be able to outfit this axle with hubs that can utilize the same bearings as the front hubs, but am not certain without disassembling both front and rear hubs if the dimensions allow for this. If there are any date codes on the axle housing i could use to reference the DOM of the axle housing, it could help me determine whether or not my current hubs should use the older PN bearings, or the newer pN bearings. Any info or insight here would be great. TIA

Bearings are the same for the entire run. Only difference is between supplier: Timken or Koyo hence the part number change in bearings.

90368-45087-77
90368-49084-77

Same, front and rear.

Investigation over.

:)

friggin oresome. ThanX!

To drag this back from the depths and clarify-

fzj80 rear full float bearings are the same as front fj60/80 bearings? are the seals and gaskets all the same as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom