Rear fender trim with SOA - how much to cut? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greeting Mud members,

I am currently working on a frame-off modification SOA. I just completed the front axle and relocating the saginaw steering box.
Previsously I trimmed the rear fender to accomodate the springs being reversed (as seen in the pic). I traced the stock pattern and moved it backwards about 7".
My question is will this be enough trimming to accomodate 35" tires? I hate to trim any more than neccesary. I want to keep as much of the stock fender shape/look as possible. What if I decided to go with 37" inch tires? How much more trimming would be necessary? I obviously want to complete all of the trimming before I tackle the body work and paint.
Please post your pictures of your fenders trimmed with 35" or 37" tires.
Thanks in advance,
Sincerely,
IMG_0102.jpg

Last edited:
SOA with 36" Tires

Couple pictures showing how I cut my rear to start and 1 showing where I ended up. However, I am running 60 springs flipped in the rear which may give me a few more inches.
000_0080.jpg
100_2894.jpg
2011-01-29_14-19-39_502.jpg

That will be plenty with reversed '40 springs and 35s.

Mark...

Hey guys Thanks for responding,

Youmustbecrazy: Did you trim the back of the fender because you had the tire rubbing when the rig was flexed?

Mark: My concern is that I haven't cut the fenders high enough to allow for compression/wheel stuff in to fender. I still considering the possiblity of installing 37" tires instead of 35". It's a big cost difference for only 1" of clearence gain. But I'm a long ways from purchasing tires.

dr_dobro: Your fenders look stock from that pic, VERY nice! It looks like you have longer than stock springs, the spring hanger looks reversed. What springs are you using?
Love the dual spares!

Sincereyl,

Yoda you'll be fine with how it is..

If for some reason it doesn't work (it'll be fine) ou can always trim later.. It's EASY with a angle grinder and cut off wheel..

I'm running 40" tires with about the same fender as you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom