Rear Fender Flares (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The 71 40 I own is sporting a set of rear fender flares which are riveted on to the body. I'm scratching my head but I don't think I see them going back on my restoration. Unless it was a factory addition.

So were the rear fender flares factory options on certain years or models? I've ordered a body manual which has not arrived.

The 71 40 I own is sporting a set of rear fender flares which are riveted on to the body. I'm scratching my head but I don't think I see them going back on my restoration. Unless it was a factory addition.

So were the rear fender flares factory options on certain years or models? I've ordered a body manual which has not arrived.

No these are aftermarket. Other markets got them in mid wheel base but it was actually part of the tub not something attached later.

If you’ve got flares, chances are the PO hacked up the OEM wheel opening. The ultimate would be, remove the flares and weld in a stock opening from real steel. I’ve also seen threads where people make there own OEM opening with a bent lip. Let us know if you need measurements. I could use some butcher paper and trace wheel openings off my 71 for you.:cheers:

Thanks Silver Star, I plan on drilling out the rivets and seeing what's under the flares. I have a feeling it's getting new quarters anyhow. I've done some muscle car restorations (or helped) and it's always interesting seeing what's under the paint.

I'll keep you posted and thanks again!

You shouldn’t need to drill out the flares to see what’s under them, just look up from underneath...

If there isn’t a nice factory-creased 90-degree bend under there, the rear fenders have been cut.

This used to be very typical - the limiting factor on tire size was the rear fender clearance, so people cut them to gain clearance and covered them with flares. To be honest, I don’t hate the look but it’s all personal preference. Definitely not stock.

46E80D08-4329-4FF3-A466-82DB771384B9.jpeg

I hate to say this but someday after I leave this world I will be that PO who is cussed because he cut the rear fenders out and put on white bushwacker flares on my '74 back in the late '80's. In my defense the upper edges of the fenders were already bent outward from the aftermarket wide offset 10 inch wheels and 31x10.5 bias tires hitting the rear fenders (they came with the truck when i got it)... But, I do like how they match the cygnus white of the top and bezel though, or so I tell my self now with 33x10.5 bfgs on 8 inch chevy wheels.

Just do what I did - throw some 80’s tube bumpers on it and some wagon wheels and then the fender flares fit right in.

:hillbilly:

The factory flares that came on my BJ44 are separate from the tub they are spot welded on.
Its to bad they were not optional or offered over the parts counter at Toyota I really like the way they look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom