Rear fender flare not lined up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, y'all

I was going to replace the fender gaskets and noticed that my rear fender flares have a pretty significant gaps between the door. Is this normal? Both are pretty equidistant, so I was hard pressed not to think that the previous owner had an accident on *both* sides. Could it be perhaps the inner fender bolts are gone?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 10.41.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 10.41.18 PM.png

Hey, y'all

I was going to replace the fender gaskets and noticed that my rear fender flares have a pretty significant gaps between the door. Is this normal? Both are pretty equidistant, so I was hard pressed not to think that the previous owner had an accident on *both* sides. Could it be perhaps the inner fender bolts are gone?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

View attachment 2693407View attachment 2693414

Not normal. Definitely check yer nuts.

Not normal. Definitely check yer nuts.

Looking online it looks like it's just two 10mm bolts holding the door flare. They're tightened. Could it be that the door flare itself is warped? How could that happen on both sides?!

Looking online it looks like it's just two 10mm bolts holding the door flare. They're tightened. Could it be that the door flare itself is warped? How could that happen on both sides?!

Not sure - I've never heard of them warping. Your first one looks okay. I can't tell from the pictures but is it Toyota gasket with adhesive on both sides or aftermarket with just one?

Those are totally the wrong flare gaskets on those. That's just an edging and not even close to what it' supposed to be.

Not sure - I've never heard of them warping. Your first one looks okay. I can't tell from the pictures but is it Toyota gasket with adhesive on both sides or aftermarket with just one?

It's definitely aftermarket

Those are totally the wrong flare gaskets on those. That's just an edging and not even close to what it' supposed to be.

Yeah, I knew they weren't OEM, but even OEM gaskets aren't *that* thick. I'm so confused by how much room there is in between the door and the door flare :bang:

Definitely don't want any rust forming from inside there that could potentially get to the bolts underneath the flare

Yeah, I knew they weren't OEM, but even OEM gaskets aren't *that* thick. I'm so confused by how much room there is in between the door and the door flare :bang:

Definitely don't want any rust forming from inside there that could potentially get to the bolts underneath the flare

They're pretty thick. Also, with industrial adhesive on both sides, it will make them stick to your truck and will be straight. Might want to take that wonky looking one off to verify it's not warped.

Oooo! I'll have to just order some OEM ones and assess from there. Thanks for your input, zap.

Any MUD vendors still sell OEM flare gaskets you know off-hand? I can search, as well.

Oooo! I'll have to just order some OEM ones and assess from there. Thanks for your input, zap.

Any MUD vendors still sell OEM flare gaskets you know off-hand? I can search, as well.
More food for thought:
If it's ever been wrecked on a given corner, it's possible that the "wrong" flares were installed. There are at least (4) different sets of flares.
91-92 LC
93-94 LC
95-97 LC
95-97 LX
There are slight variances in shape and "thickness" on the first three. The LX are different due to body cladding.

More food for thought:
If it's ever been wrecked on a given corner, it's possible that the "wrong" flares were installed. There are at least (4) different sets of flares.
91-92 LC
93-94 LC
95-97 LC
95-97 LX
There are slight variances in shape and "thickness" on the first three. The LX are different due to body cladding.

Oh, I had no idea they were different between 93-94 and 95-97. Do you know if there's any way to check? Or maybe anyone know the differences between each other?

Oh, I had no idea they were different between 93-94 and 95-97. Do you know if there's any way to check? Or maybe anyone know the differences between each other?
It has to do with material of construction (fiberglass VS ABS VS plastic something) and then the holes where they mount to the fender. The 91 version is narrower than the later versions.

I realize this is an old thread, but not too old. I’m having the same issue with the rear door flares not fitting tight to the body (near the bottom only) and this thread was all the popped up while searching. When I removed my flares (1996), the gasket/pad was missing completely on all 6 sections, so any unusual gaps were deemed to be due to the lack of the rubber pads. After the painfully long process of removing the flares, cleaning off the old adhesive, installing all new mounting hardware and new OEM rubber pads, everything fits really well except for the rear door flares on both sides. Attached are photos showing the gap on both sides compared to how they should snug up (in a perfect world).

@kevinkevinkevin Were you able to get yours to fit correctly?

433A78FA-7F03-43C1-9DCD-E4FF579698F0.jpeg

26E406B2-871D-4F0C-B18B-85305E1A32AB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom