Rear End Play (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I own a 93 Toyota Truck and I just replaced the rear U joint. During this replacement I found some play in the rear end. I want to know if some play is normal? The play I noticed is about 1/4 inch each direction on the yoke of the U joint before the wheels begin to turn. The truck has about 173,000 miles on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The rear end leaks no fluid. I am a beginner mechanic on any type of vehicles and every job comes with tons of anticipation on how to do it. I want and will learn on this truck as I have nothing to lose with it.

I'm thinking he's talking about the backlash or play in the gears...

Sorry, forgot the right word... But I think backlash is it...

If it has a one wheel peel and not a welded or spooled rear then that is normal wear/slop. The ring and pinion might have perfect lash and very worn spyders instead. I wouldnt worry about it too much.

If it dies someday, get one complete off craigslist for $50-$100 and drop it in.

Does the pinion flange have any up and down play?

Trying to tighten up the old wear will change a very hi mileage pattern, not good.

If it was leaking and had some side play on the pinion flange, then I would recommend tighten it up and taking you chances.

Side to side and up and down play is loose bearings, and almost undoubtabley will leak like a sieve.

To tighten the bearings, remove rear drive shaft from rear diff pinion (A couple 14mm wrenches). Use a nice hard and pointy punch to un stake the large nut on the end of the pinion. Use a large socket and breaker bar, or ratchet and cheater pipe to tighten the nut up just a little and a time. Stop to feel the bearing play often!!!! You want no up down/side-side play, but you want to still be able to turn the pinion easily by hand (it will only turn a little with the tires on the ground/ebrake on, but it's enough to know that it's easy to turn)

:cheers:

it is normal. you can't check for backlash when the diff is in the truck. you have the back lash, and the slop between the carrier gears and the axles going into the side gears. Sounds like it is good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom