Rear end locked up while driving (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geocities.com
I have a friend with a 93 SR5 Pickup. His rear end locked up while he was driving along.

He said he heard a "bang" and then the tires just locked up and he skidded to a stop.

Any ideas what that may be? And around how much to fix?

Thxs..

Been there four times ;)

• '72 Duster...driveshaft broke, dug into the pavement and snapped the tranny in two
  • '59 Chevy...Pinion let go and destroyed everything inside the pumpkin
  • '71 FJ40...messed with the distributor, thought the oil gauge was lying and siezed the engine
  • '73 FJ40...new truck, no oil in the diff, bent the pinion into the third, and took out the t-case and tranny

Most likely in the rear end. Check the brakes first, then pull the cover on the diff and look inside. Post pics too :)

Yup. Sounds like a R&P failure. It will be cheaper for him to get a new (used) axle and put it in.

treerootCO said:
Been there four times ;)

• '72 Duster...driveshaft broke, dug into the pavement and snapped the tranny in two
    :)

• This could go into the thread about becoming white trash. Burn outs in reverse, because it is the only gear low enough ;)

Last edited:
Cruiser rear end but you get the picture :D
carrier.jpg

By the way..

we don't live in trailors here in the northeast.

Had to say that.

We're just suckers for the high taxes, bad roads and high insurance costs.

you can call us dumb if you like.. as we must be.

Tell them to disconnect the rear driveshaft.

If its a stock geared axle, just look for a new 3rd member and drop it in. The rear is a piece of cake. I believe that its 4 bolts at the backing plate per side, the brake lines and you can pull the axles out. If you're really crafty, I think you can do it with the tires on. :D
Unbolt the 3rd and pop in a new one.

Or, it would prolly cost $250 for the gearset and another $250-300 in labor.

befor you go getting a new 3rd memeber check the nut on the pinion gear. Was on a road trip once and there seemed to be alot of vibration when I'd let off the gas. After I stoped for gas it won't move forward. Turned out the pinion nut backed off.

my case is alittle different but maybe with some fingers crossd that's all your buddies problem is too.

hey guys i had the same issue in my 1991 Toyota pickup 4x4. i was driving down the freeway when i heard a loud bang and truck basically started skipping and eventually i came to a stop. I didn't notice until the tow truck guy began loading it on the flatbed that the rear tires locked up, then unloading it off the truck was kind of a joke as well we barely managed to get it to roll back a few feet. Now my question / concern is that the truck fires up just fine while the clutch is pushed in engaged but when i let off the clutch even in neutral the transmission makes a weird groaning metal on metal sound i believe. so ive read the replies up top and ive got to inspect the truck still as this just happened yesterday. So my question is does anybody have any ideas for what may have happened or what might make the transmission act like that, also if it was the R&P or the differential taking a s*** would it have destroyed my transmission along with it? Any ideas or answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

More testing suggestions. To rule out the transmission put the transfer case in neutral. Will the truck roll? Pull the driveshaft. Will the truck roll?

If the diff locked up, then the driveshaft and transmission would have stopped turning. If the engine was still engaged, I could see it possibly damaging the input shaft in the transmission. However, it could only be the transmission that locked up...? I would follow Pappy's suggestions. Isolate the components and further diagnos.

More testing suggestions. To rule out the transmission put the transfer case in neutral. Will the truck roll? Pull the driveshaft. Will the truck roll?
ok yes i put transfer case in neutral and truck was able to roll just fine didn't pull on driveshaft though because it was able to roll just fine when transfer case was in neutral. So what might that mean, any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom