Rear drum brake assembly (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks in advance. I’m hoping if I throw a bunch of pictures up and someone will have an answer for me. Previous owner told me he replaced the rear shoes along with wheel cylinders. Decided to adjust rear brakes. Everything appears to me to be new and correct? First thing was I could not adjust the RRR wheel cyl. You can see an adjustment wheel and the tensioner but it does not turn/adjust. I pulled the shoes off and pulled the bottom of the wheel cyl off. It is not adjustable!! Everything appears as if it is but is is not!! With only the RRF adjustable I proceeded. I cannot get enough adjustment period.. Question is 1. Is the RRR cylinder supposed to be adjustable? 2. Is it maybe a simple case of the wrong cylinders? It is a 1972 built june of 71. Got a feeling he used the later (less expensive) wheel cylinders. Hope pictures help and thanks

8A9B9075-CA55-4404-8A3C-E401A81E01E0.jpeg

1B9B2466-DCBF-4E80-B2B9-B80BFE8877F0.jpeg

F7A48F7A-8AA0-412C-BEA1-D15783F6424A.jpeg

AD2303A3-6449-46A6-B5A8-E62D3677C4AA.jpeg

0A14BF18-C104-41D1-AC20-DEA3769297DD.jpeg

It is adjustable but might be frozen. I’m going through this right now on my brand new wheel cylinders (installed in 1990 but never had fluid). I put the adjuster portion in a vice lightly and used the edge of channel lock handles in the groove to twist. Can post pics if that doesn’t make sense. Try spraying some penetrant in there.

It is adjustable but might be frozen. I’m going through this right now on my brand new wheel cylinders (installed in 1990 but never had fluid). I put the adjuster portion in a vice lightly and used the edge of channel lock handles in the groove to twist. Can post pics if that doesn’t make sense. Try spraying some penetrant in there.

Thanks. I’ll pull it off again but it looked to be one piece? No threads showing and I put quite a bit of torque trying to turn it one way and the other? Could very well be just screwed in tight.. thanks for reply

I guess to be clear; it’s the bottom one on the rear and the top on the front that’s adjustable. I made blue circles and arrows on your pic.
5DABEA38-0437-4779-BFE0-8D67A8817759.jpeg

@671fj40

If the correct cyls are in the correct locations, passenger side cyls are left hand thread, drivers side are right hand thread

You are correct and I thank you! I took a closer look and could see the slightest separation. Much easier to see in the enlarged pic. I soaked in penetrant and assumed it was a left hand thread and was unsuccessful until I heated it up. Once it broke free it came out by hand. Thanks to all again

7C97F966-6BE5-4F23-BABA-611DA93910E8.jpeg

2C4615EF-D898-46D1-BD96-274AFBA14105.jpeg

5EC6A5E9-AA5C-48D1-BFFE-70B251CAD065.jpeg

IMO, leaving these dry, without lubricant or anti-seize, is a big mistake.

I used A-S on the threads, and on the adjuster "nut" where it rested inside the cylinder.

Also, it's likely the stuck adjuster was turned the wrong way trying to adjust. You should make sure you're clear on the adjusting method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom