Rear Driveshaft Slip Joint Location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been trying to get an answer to this for a long time. My in-laws '05 has a driveshaft clunk that I can't get rid of, no matter how much cleaning and greasing I do. One thing I noticed is that compared to my '98, the slip joint is located towards the front of the truck as opposed to at the rear diff -- ie, it seems the driveshaft is flipped 180 deg.

Can anyone else take a peek under their truck and tell me which end of the truck the slip joint is closer to on the rear driveshaft? Trying to find out if there was a model year change or if this '05 was put on backwards.

Thanks

Rich

2003 Land Cruiser. Transfer case to the left in the picture, rear differential to the right. Truck is on jack stands.

image-3613382565.jpg
image-3613382565.jpg

Thank you for the reply and pic. So it does look like there was a change then for the later years (maybe coinciding with the switch to the 5 spd trans?)

Looks like I'll be replacing the slip joint and maybe some u-joints on this guy then.

Thanks

rich

I replaced my rear u joint only to learn it didn't fix the clunk. Proper greasing was the solution, and continues to be to this day.

Right, that schematic is exactly how my '98 is, which is what got me concerned that the shaft on this 05 was put on backwards.

I've taken the whole driveshaft apart twice and cleaned it and greased it, etc. The clunk goes away for a few hundred miles, and then comes back.

rich

The chevrolet 1500 half ton trucks (1993 theu 1999, mine was a 99 2 door tahoe) were bad about the driveshaft clunk. Some folks repaired the problem by replacing a part (nopt sure which one) with a nickel plated "male" end piece of the drive shaft. Others purchased GM grease that was expensive but often times effective.

The chevrolet 1500 half ton trucks (1993 theu 1999, mine was a 99 2 door tahoe) were bad about the driveshaft clunk. Some folks repaired the problem by replacing a part (nopt sure which one) with a nickel plated "male" end piece of the drive shaft. Others purchased GM grease that was expensive but often times effective.
How well I remember:frown:

The nickel plated piece with the driveshaft "yoke"...the piece that goes into the tranny. No particular grease, but around '97-'98 GM went to a new transfer case lube.

Steve

Both of my Cruiser's were purchased with around 50k-60k, and both had clunks. This grease is as advertised. There are no noticeable clunks...actually improves over time with the molly.

Schaeffer 238 ultra supreme molly grease

A blurb form there site....

Excellent pumpability characteristics for use in centralized lube systems.
Excellent resistance to water washout and water spray-off.
Excellent shear and mechanical stability.
Excellent anti-wear and extreme pressure load carrying properties.
100% reversibility. This property allows Moly Supreme to have the ability to retain its grease-like consistency and remain in the bearings during periods of heat, high shock loading, extreme pressure, and severe mechanical action.
Excellent rust and oxidation inhibiting characteristics.
Excellent resistance to oxidation.
A high dropping point.
Low temperature pumpability characteristics.

Further blended into the high viscosity index 100% paraffin base stocks, PAO synthetic base fluids and the aluminum complex thickener is molybdenum disulfide and a solid lubricant package. The molybdenum disulfide and solid lubricant package allows the Ultra Supreme to act as a "backstop" lubricant when the grease base is either destroyed or wiped away due to unexpected loads, start-up or other conditions which can exceed the capabilities of the grease base's fluid film lubrication. This "backstop" is created by the molybdenum disulfide's and solid lubricant package's natural affinity for metal surfaces. This natural affinity for metal surfaces allows the molybdenum disulfide and solid lubricant package to plate itself to these surfaces in order to form a long lasting solid lubricant film. This solid lubricant film will withstand pressures up to 500,000 pounds per square inch, giving the metal surfaces of the bearings the protection they need during periods of high speed, high shock loads and extreme pressure. The grease's solid lubricant film also helps to reduce friction. This reduction in friction results in reduced wear and a reduction in contact area temperature. This in turn leads to increased equipment, less downtime and extended lubrication cycles.

I have the clunk and the dealer wants to install a new rear driveshaft. Grease is a lot more appealing solution. This seems to be a common problem. Any other causes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom