rear driveshaft problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have got a problem with our rear driveshaft that needs a solution, so I turn once again to the board. Here's the deal. We have a '63 fj40 with all chevy running gear (350, sm465, np205). The truck retained the stock fj axles. We are attempting to use a front driveshaft off a '74 chevy 1/2 ton pickup as our rear driveshaft. When we first looked at it, it appeared that everything would line up as the yoke from the np205 fits over the 369 joints on the driveshaft. However, now that we have had the deiveshaft cut down to fit and got it up to the truck, we have realized that the bolt holes on the cv joint and the yoke don't line up. They are off by maybe 1/4", but nonetheless, it won't line up. I've been at the junk yard all day scavenging for a yolk with the correct spline count (32) and the right bolt hole dimensions and can't find one. I then tried an auto parts store and looked in their spicer book to cross reference the yokes to see if there even is one that fits our application, to my knowledge such a part does not exist. What do I do. We need the cv because of the severe angle in the rear, even after turning the rear end up. What did everyone else do? Has anyone out there run into this problem? Thanks in advance for all help. It is greatly appreciated.

i had the same problem with mt extended travel slip joint up front your right they dont make the yoke or converter needed. what i did was welded the yoke bolt holes up and drilled new ones to match the patteren of the gm yoke

kc_chevota how did that work for you? I think long term I might get a custom shaft made but in the meantime I would like a fix that is not too terribly time consuming or expensive.

Are you installing the CV end of this on the t-case, and the other end on the Toyota axle?

If so, you can get a Nepco piece N2-2-799, which will be drilled to the pattern of the Land Cruiser early bolt pattern(will work with both small and larger bolt 3 speed flanges, early bolt diamerter was 8mm, and later was 10mm). This uses a 1310 series ujoint which *should* be what is on the slip/stub end of your shaft, and any decent driveline shop around you *should* have this..

-OR-

I could be all wet, and not have any idea what the hell you are trying to do.. ;)

Good luck!

-Steve

Ok, reading this again and agian, I think that there is a driveshaft outfit that makes, or has had made the peice that will attach to the rear output of the 205, and allow you to run a CV shaft...

Check with Jessie at Highangle or Tom Woods...

http://www.highangledriveline.com/

http://www.4xshaft.com/

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser, yeah cv end mated to tcase yoke and other end into toyota axle. Where do I get this part? Is there a website? I tlaked to every shop in our little town today that I could think of and everyone just scratched their heads. Not much help from anyone other than posters here on the forum. If you've got a source I'd love to hear it. We are using 369 joints, does that matter?

I deal with Proven Force here in MN, but I would have a hard time thinking that either one of the places that I listed here would not have this piece...

If you hit a wall, PM me, and I can figure out what they cost me on Friday, and get one sent your way...

-Steve

Poser, I may need that part. I just called around and am coming up emtpy. There's one more parts place to check but they are closed for the evening. If you have a contact for the place near you that has the part and a price, that would be great. Thanks again for all the help.

you are using a 1/2 ton strap style CV joint? not the flange mount style?

heres the problem, the yokes made for that strap style joint is on a front chevy output which was never made for a 32 spline application in a chevy. the only feesable application that you would find is a 1 ton dodge or ford np 205, but in my experience these CVs are 1350, or flange mounts. What will probably happen is your going to have to go to a flange style output which is a factory piece like on a 1 ton dodge 205, and get another driveshaft done.

for highest $$$ for parts you can get call mentioned above.

Just wanted to say thanks to all that helped with this problem and pass on some useful information that I found. Someone may run into this in the future and this may be of some help. If you run into the problems with the setup I described you have two options. The first, contact high angle driveline. They sell a cv style yoke tand seal for roughly $70 for the lot that will mate the rear output shaft of the chevy np205 to the driveshaft. Also, the 77-79 ford broncos used a cv style yoke that will fit this application and make the conversion easy if you can get a hold of that yoke. Thought this might help someone else. Thanks again to all that contributed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom