Rear driver side squeak, need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What's up guys, developed a squeak on drivers rear a few months after Bilstein 6112/5260 install( or maybe just now noticing with windows down) crawled underneath and this is the driver's side bushing and washers from the underside, obviously not seating correctly. Can anyone advise if this is installed the correctly and just not seated? Maybe top nut wasnt tightened enough? Or something else going on here, any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks. Local Toyota dealer did the install..

Passenger side is totally flush and no squeak fwiw
20230416_090930.jpg

The bottom washer definitely isn’t seated properly. The oxidation “halo” leads me to believe it is a symptom of the top nut being tight enough or incorrect washer stack.

Hard to tell without seeing the top nut, but either way, that washer needs seated properly, and the top tightened.

Thanks, these were my thoughts also
It’s a PITA to get to tighten that nut properly. You can actually get into that space from the inside of the frame and over the exhaust. A ratcheting box wrench is the best tool I’ve found.

I would hurl a slight at the dealership, but the “squeak” has been common with the BP-51s in the past, and I gave up prematurely on a set of shocks that resulted in a squeak as well.

It happens.

You have a great photo showing the cause of the dreaded "clunk". There is lots of history about that problem from the material used to make the rubber bushings for the ARB BP-51 and Nitro series shocks. (I am only referring to the photo the OP provided) If you only have a squeak then wait till the pilot/hat washer drops back into the frame, then you will hear the "clunk".

More pressure is needed to keep the pilot washer in place so take it back to the installer and show them your great picture of the problem. If the nut and washers have been installed properly then try a quick and temporary fix by adding another like washer on top increasing the constant compression pressure of the stack. Also, the OEM pilot washer has a much greater lip compared to some aftermarket pilot washers. I have had this temporary extra washer in place on the top stack on all four shock/strut assemblies for about 70k miles now and will remove it when I install my next set of shocks/struts, then reevaluate.

This is the first time I have heard of Bilstein having the squeak or clunk so hopefully its just an missed step during install and torque.

There are a few potential causes. One could be that there is a lipped washer used on the top side as well. The top one should be flat. I have also run into a situation on a different set of rear shocks where I just ran out of threads and it wasn't tight enough - no amount of torquing with the box wrench will solve that problem so I added a spacer washer at the top as seen in this photo

IMG_7965-2.jpeg

There are a few potential causes. One could be that there is a lipped washer used on the top side as well. The top one should be flat. I have also run into a situation on a different set of rear shocks where I just ran out of threads and it wasn't tight enough - no amount of torquing with the box wrench will solve that problem so I added a spacer washer at the top as seen in this photo

View attachment 3301290
Second this about two lipped washers making the gap too large to clamp the frame bracket tightly. Very common issue with ARBs for a while due to them shipping the incorrect parts. If OPs installer mixed up the parts from the two rear shocks the same thing can happen.. which also means while it may not be making noise the other side may be incorrect also.

Well I had taken it back to the dealership that did the install and it appeared to be fixed and was riding good for a couple weeks until my wife told me this morning that she's hearing a squeak again when going over bumps....will have to take another look when I get thome from work to see if it's the same issue or someone new... Getting frustrated with this vehicle

Edit: all is well, I think my wife is just panicking over every slight noise she hears now

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom