Rear Drive Shaft Double Cardan Cracked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was replacing the bad -joints on the rear drive shaft dc & when I was pressing the u-joint in the dc cracked. Any recommendations as to where find a replacement? or can I just weld this one? Truck is a 92 22re, 5sp extended cab

IMG-4658.JPG

Those are cast pieces, so I’m not sure how easy they would be to weld. Probably pretty contaminated with oil and grease too, which would compound the tricky nature of trying to repair it.

IFS DCs are a dime a dozen at the u-pulls.

I doubt welding it would restore the press-fit required. Pappy's suggestion sounds like a winner to me.

Thanks all!

Pappy, are the front and rear DC's interchangeable?

Thanks all!

Pappy, are the front and rear DC's interchangeable?
I believe the answer is yes, but the lengths would be different. Do you have an xcab? I've never seen a rear DC on a Gen3 truck, but I have seen them on xcab Tacoma.

Yes. Truck is an extra cab

89-94 4Runeers, Xcab and long bed I’ve seen have DC front and rear. I think short beds do also but it’s been a long time since I’ve been under one. My 85 xcab did too. I haven’t been under enough 84-89’s lately to say for sure but I think they all have rear DC at least from what I recall.
DC’s are $65 at upull they charge for the whole shaft, shafts are almost always bent from forklift

No luck here at a couple of Pick N pulls, and a couple of junk yards

Three points of data from trucks that I have owned:
'84 Xcab SB 22R Manual- two piece rear drive-shaft - no CV, Front w/ CV
'85 Xcab SB 22RE Auto- one piece rear DS w/ no CV, Front w/ CV
'88 Rnnr V6 Auto- one piece rear w/ no CV, Front w/ CV

I wouldn't weld that, you'll never get it right. Where did you get the kit to rebuild the DC I've been trying to source the parts. Are you sure the U joints weren't too big?

I did not buy the kit, I just went to AZ and bought the u-joint that was bad

So I have tried about 10 junk yards here in the Austin and San Antonio area but no luck. I called Yota Jim's in Colorado and his computers were down. Also called the place out of Dallas and got no answer.

Any suggestions for another source?

Thanks gnob, this might have to be the way I need to go. have the old one cut out and marlin's welded in...

All the junk yards around here have very little or no 90's trucks thanks to Central America...

if they are interchangeable

I finally had time to start working on my truck again. I ordered the double cardan joint from Marlin crawler but they sent me the wrong one. After several emails, measurements and pictures, they tell me that the measurements I gave them are for a Tacoma or that the truck has been modified. I have on this truck since new and it has not been modified. What there be a time One Toyota might use a different part from Factory?View attachment 2092895View attachment 2092895

20190925_103629.jpg
20190925_103439.jpg

20190925_103415.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom