Rear door speakers - less power than front? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last year I replaced the door speakers with 6.5" Eclipse 3 ways. The fronts I purchased from stereo shop and the rears off Ebay. The rears sound quality has always been less compared to the front. I stopped by the stereo shop to see if they were blown but they said no; they did not sound right but not blown. Today I switched the front and rear on the passenger side - front still sounds better. So my question is there a different amount of power that goes to the front vs. the rear?

Please note that I have read the speaker conversions (search fxn) and not seen this addressed in the past.

Also I plan on buying one of the Scion radios off ebay - looking at a 2006 model. Will this help balance out the power to the speakers? Thanks, Nelson

I have to run the fader towards the rear to hear the rear speakers on either of my 80's. I just attribute it to the fact that mid and high range sound is directional, so the sound from those speakers, being low and behind the front seats, is muted from the front. When people ride in the rear seat with me, they usually complain that the rear speakers are too loud.

-Spike

I recall reading somewhere that the front and rear speakers are wired in series. If this is true, having different speakers in the front vs rear will cause frequency response variations.

Besides that, many car audio competitors forego the rear high/mid speakers altogher. The reason is that when you go to a concert, the muscians usually play in front of you, not in the back. Also, in the mastering studios, they only have front reference monitors. This is for stereo source material, of course, and not surround sound.

I don't think it's possible for the front and rear speakers to be wired in series. If they were, then the fader wouldn't work.

If you haven't adjusted the fader, do that first.

It's also likely that the full range isn't being sent to the back. As Pulse indicated. it's the highs that give the directional info, so Toyota may have only sent the midrange to the rear speakers.

I've played with the fader, bass, treble and mid-range. There is a definite decrease in quality of sound comparing the front and rear door speakers. Is it possible another head unit with built in amp will help address this issue? thanks, Nelson

I just received my wiring diagram book in the mail. It has the front "tweeter" and front door speaker wired in parallel.

The rear door speaker is amplified separately.

tech_dog said:
I don't think it's possible for the front and rear speakers to be wired in series. If they were, then the fader wouldn't work.

If you haven't adjusted the fader, do that first.

It's also likely that the full range isn't being sent to the back. As Pulse indicated. it's the highs that give the directional info, so Toyota may have only sent the midrange to the rear speakers.

So does that help explain the decrease in sound related to front vs. rear? The front dash speakers and rear roof speakers are disconnected. I purchased a Scion radio so maybe that will help. Thanks for the info. Nelson

If all four speakers were identical, there would be a sound difference due to speaker placement. There is also something called HRTF: http://interface.cipic.ucdavis.edu/CIL_tutorial/3D_HRTF/HRTF_hor.htm
This natural psychoacoustic phenomenon makes it difficult/impossible to subjectively compare identical speakers placed in different locations.

I am 99% sure that the power to the front versus rear are the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom