Rear door lock problems & Seat belt issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hopefully someone has been in both of these scenarios, and has a remedy.

Scenario 1:
Earlier today, I took the rear passenger door panels off my 2011 Land Cruiser to install some new speakers. After I put the panels back on the door, and closed my rear passenger side door, I heard something come undone. I tried to open the door, and no dice. My back pass door won't open from the inside or outside. I was able to remove some of the trim from the inside of the door. After inspecting things, I found that the cables that secures into the lock, and door handle were not secure, and came unseated when I closed the door. I can hear the lock move to lock and unlock, but I can't reach them to get them reseated. Not only can I not get the door open, but I also can't get the interior door panel off with the door shut from the inside.

Scenario 2:
I decided to walk away from the whole door issue and cool down before I broke something. So I go to run up to the store. I hop in, attempt to put my seat belt on, and now the seat belt will not extend smoothly out of the shoulder mount pillar. I am able to pull the belt out with some force, and I can buckle myself in, and the seat belt retracts just fine.

I’m sure someone will chime in with a better idea, but can you get the door panel off if you remove the seat? Keep in mind that members with very specific knowledge like you need are not necessarily on Mud everyday so you may have to wait a bit for help.

I’m sure someone will chime in with a better idea, but can you get the door panel off if you remove the seat? Keep in mind that members with very specific knowledge like you need are not necessarily on Mud everyday so you may have to wait a bit for help.
Removing the seat crossed my mind last night, but I didn't follow thru b/c it was getting dark out when I got back from the store. My only question is, will I be able to remove the panel with the door closed? Another thought that crossed my mind was to pop the rear panels where the sub is, and unbolt the nuts that hold the door latch and hope it opens that way.

Seat belt wise, I am going to reach out to my service advisor at the dealership. I noticed in my service records, back in 2019 the front passenger belt was replaced under a saftey recall, but they didn't replace the front driver side belt. I'm going to ask my advisor to see if the front driver side belt also falls under the safety recall.

Removing the seat crossed my mind last night, but I didn't follow thru b/c it was getting dark out when I got back from the store. My only question is, will I be able to remove the panel with the door closed? Another thought that crossed my mind was to pop the rear panels where the sub is, and unbolt the nuts that hold the door latch and hope it opens that way.

Seat belt wise, I am going to reach out to my service advisor at the dealership. I noticed in my service records, back in 2019 the front passenger belt was replaced under a saftey recall, but they didn't replace the front driver side belt. I'm going to ask my advisor to see if the front driver side belt also falls under the safety recall.
You can ask, but I am positive it was only the passenger belt.

I don't think you can remove the latch bolts from the inside, the heads are in the door jamb facing the door. Or, if you do, you are unscrewing them from the back, and I haven't seen anyone do that operation before - kind of like filling a tooth cavity through the rectum.

I seem to recall needing the door open to get the rear cargo side panels out (but not sure if I do that as a convenience or a necessity - I think it is a necessity). I typically remove the door sill trim (and attached step) and the seat belt anchor before moving the the fasteners at the back of the panel.

I just looked at my rear doors, and there is no chance that you're going to pull the door panel off with the door closed. The door trim extends out past the jamb.

What I would try is to remove the inner door handle and access the end of the release cable through that hole. The inner door handles come out fairly easily. Unless I am misunderstanding and the cable came off the latch end, not the handle end, in which case, I have no idea and am guessing that you are going to have to destroy the inner door panel to get to it.

0CDA9405-61D6-4B2F-A922-843077259ADD.jpeg
C235538B-94BB-4E35-BAEF-BB533659DD77.jpeg
75F15D41-A320-48BE-9065-8544B73A98CB.jpeg

Last edited:

I don't think you can remove the latch bolts from the inside, the heads are in the door jamb facing the door. Or, if you do, you are unscrewing them from the back, and I haven't seen anyone do that operation before - kind of like filling a tooth cavity through the rectum.

I seem to recall needing the door open to get the rear cargo side panels out (but not sure if I do that as a convenience or a necessity - I think it is a necessity). I typically remove the door sill trim (and attached step) and the seat belt anchor before moving the the fasteners at the back of the panel.

I just looked at my rear doors, and there is no chance that you're going to pull the door panel off with the door closed. The door trim extends out past the jamb.

What I would try is to remove the inner door handle and access the end of the release cable through that hole. The inner door handles come out fairly easily. Unless I am misunderstanding and the cable came off the latch end, not the handle end, in which case, I have no idea and am guessing that you are going to have to destroy the inner door panel to get to it.

View attachment 2853683View attachment 2853688View attachment 2853689

I’m going to have to cancel my dental appt next week.

View attachment 2853683View attachment 2853688View attachment 2853689
I snapped these pictures once I got to work, so you could see how it looks right now. I was able to get the lock latch removed last nite, but I couldn't get the door latched removed. If I could get the door latched removed I can reach it, but no matter how I tried to move it, it wasn't coming off. I scheduled an appt for tomorrow, to have them look at the seat belt, and the door. I think I'm just going to let someone who has dealt with this in the past take care of it because I really don't feel like destroying the door.

20211202_101741.jpg

20211202_101818.jpg

20211202_101724.jpg

Maybe a stupid question, but is the visible end of the cable the only end that is detached?

If the latch side is intact, and the handle end is the only part detached, I was envisioning first making sure the doors were unlocked (fob, etc.), then using a tool like a pair of small pliers to hold the cable sheath from moving, and then pulling the inner cable outward to detach the latch.

It looks like you should be able to lock/unlock the door by holding the white plastic thing still while pushing or pulling on the steel cable with the metal ball on it. If the door handle still isn't opening the door, there should be another black cable with a wire in it that you may be able fish for and pull.

Hopefully someone has been in both of these scenarios, and has a remedy.

Scenario 1:
Earlier today, I took the rear passenger door panels off my 2011 Land Cruiser to install some new speakers. After I put the panels back on the door, and closed my rear passenger side door, I heard something come undone. I tried to open the door, and no dice. My back pass door won't open from the inside or outside. I was able to remove some of the trim from the inside of the door. After inspecting things, I found that the cables that secures into the lock, and door handle were not secure, and came unseated when I closed the door. I can hear the lock move to lock and unlock, but I can't reach them to get them reseated. Not only can I not get the door open, but I also can't get the interior door panel off with the door shut from the inside.

Scenario 2:
I decided to walk away from the whole door issue and cool down before I broke something. So I go to run up to the store. I hop in, attempt to put my seat belt on, and now the seat belt will not extend smoothly out of the shoulder mount pillar. I am able to pull the belt out with some force, and I can buckle myself in, and the seat belt retracts just fine.

Not sure if this will be helpful but I was shopping for a 100 series with the rear passenger door shut in the same situation as you. As i thought about it, I figured I was going to hand the job off to a body shop. I think they deal with this type of thing all the time.

It looks like you should be able to lock/unlock the door by holding the white plastic thing still while pushing or pulling on the steel cable with the metal ball on it. If the door handle still isn't opening the door, there should be another black cable with a wire in it that you may be able fish for and pull.
Great point! I think there is one cable to open the door, the other is a cable for for the locking lever. That white ended one may be the wrong one to open the door - I can't remember the color coding from when I've had doors apart.

Also I like @Itsr's idea on the body shop if you can't sort it yourself. I bet with how far you've gone they'll open in in 3 minutes flat and you'll smack your palm against your head and say "why didn't I try that?"

Maybe a stupid question, but is the visible end of the cable the only end that is detached?

If the latch side is intact, and the handle end is the only part detached, I was envisioning first making sure the doors were unlocked (fob, etc.), then using a tool like a pair of small pliers to hold the cable sheath from moving, and then pulling the inner cable outward to detach the latch.
No, I think both cables are detached.

Correct, there is another cable/metal ball that connects to the door handle. The problem is, is that one is also detached. If you look closely in the 2nd picture I posted, that green tab right behind the door handle, is the other cable. I can't reach that cable b/c the handle is in the way.

Great point! I think there is one cable to open the door, the other is a cable for for the locking lever. That white ended one may be the wrong one to open the door - I can't remember the color coding from when I've had doors apart.

Also I like @Itsr's idea on the body shop if you can't sort it yourself. I bet with how far you've gone they'll open in in 3 minutes flat and you'll smack your palm against your head and say "why didn't I try that?"
The white ended cable connects to the lock switch. The green ended cable, which is vaguely visible in the 2nd picture I posted is the one that connects to the door handle. I can't reach the green ended cable b/c I can't get the door handle removed.

Body shop wise, I'm glad you mentioned that. I'm going to try the shop right down the road from where I live.

Just for grins, maybe try pushing the white ended cable in - I think it is a bowden cable and in may correspond with unlocking...

Just wanted to report back and give an update:
I ended up fixing the seat belt last night in the work parking lot. All I did was was pull the seat belt out all the way, gave it a hard jerk, and it went back to working properly.

This morning I swung by the body shop down the road from me. Before I went, I check the door and it was still not working. Get all the way up to the body shop, and bring the estimator out to show him what the problem is, the door opens like nothing was wrong. The estimator went and grabbed a screwdriver and I pulled the door panel. As soon as I pulled the panel, the ball and wire to the door latch came off. Luckily I was able to put it all back together and that as well is now working properly. Someone must love me somewhere, b/c they just saved me alot of $$$. Thank's to all you guys for all your input.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom