Rear Dome Light Comes On on LR Door, Not RR Door.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
No previous issues with the truck, and allofasudden, the RR door opening doesn't make the dome light come on. Did a search and nothing seems to fit. Both front doors work fine (on the front dome light). Cargo works as well.

Sooo... Electricity has been conspiring with hand tools to kill me since 1967, and I'm not so good with wiring, etc. Can any of my mud brethren help preserve my life and give me a hint? Any stoopid easy stuff that I can check first?

Thanks goat!!

Subscribed. Same problem but with 2 doors (front pass, rear drivers). Replaced door switches, no luck. Looks like I need to breakout the ECM and do some good old fashioned troubleshooting. Maybe there's an easy fix :bang:

After you do that, how's about posting up your findings. No idea if its my contact switch or not, but I have one inbound. If it isn't, maybe your findings will help me (or the next guy to come along).

Be advised that the OEM dome lights do not make good contact with the terminals in the roof. Others have pointed this out in forums about dome lights. I just installed new LED dome lights and two new door jamb switches after waiting two years with no dome lights. First, I installed part # 3022-WWHP4 LED dome lights from superbrightleds.com on a hunch that the previous posters were right about the OEM bulbs. Instant light, and much brighter than stock. I also installed two door jamb switches, Airtex/Wells part # 1S3707 from Rock Auto because the old switches had intermittent contact. After installing the new LED's and door jamb switches, the dome lights operate like new. I am impressed with the LED's. They appear well made and are very bright. Now I'm going to replace the map light with an LED.

Bad contacts in the door switch. It's the little rubber button inside the door jamb. You can remove it with a single bolt and replace it.

This^^. I had the same problem and was able to get it working again by cleaning up the door switch and cycling it several times. That reminds me that I never did check for a scouce to replace the switch boot which is torn thus the water intrusion and failure:hmm:

All right, got an OEM door switch and swapped it out. Nothing different. When the LEFT rear door is opened, the light comes on fine. When the RIGHT rear is opened, nada. Zippo. Bupkis.

So it ain't the door switch, and it ain't the contact on the bulb (LED in my case) up at the light.

Further thoughts from the brain trust?

All right, got an OEM door switch and swapped it out. Nothing different. When the LEFT rear door is opened, the light comes on fine. When the RIGHT rear is opened, nada. Zippo. Bupkis.

So it ain't the door switch, and it ain't the contact on the bulb (LED in my case) up at the light.

Further thoughts from the brain trust?

Use the left door?

HAHA, just kidding. You have demonstrated that the light works, maybe a bad ground on that side or I recall some have had loose wires at the drivers side kick panel.

I had this problem. It was a broken splice in the wire bundle near the PS front door floor and B pillar. Will post a pic

Happened to me 5 years ago. The Red-Blue wire coming down from the RH rear door courtesy switch came separated from the B23 splice
80 LC Interior EWD B23 Splice JPEG.jpg

You can find it near where the PS door meets the B Pillar. It is inside the blue sheath

IMG_2864.JPG

IMG_2865.JPG

Broken/corroded wire. I found a corroded copper penny right next to it, so I suspect water was getting in there.

IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_2868.JPG

Fixed. Though in retrospect would have been good to solder it and shrink wrap it...

IMG_2871.JPG

The wiring diagram shows that the light is connected to power. The switches, door or dome, connect it to ground (truck body) to let the current flow.

Either of two problems. The wire between the light and the switch is busted or the wire between the switch and the truck is bad.

Take out the bad door switch and touch the wires to the truck body where there is no paint. If the light turns on your ground is bad. If not, than the wire between the light and switch is bad. This assumes your switch is good.

Sorry for the delay in posting guys, and thanks for your comments and pics/diagrams. Will check these leads and let y'all know!!

Have the same issue on the rear passenger door and I already replaced the door switch, with no luck. Curious to see how this thread pans out. This is one of those little fix it things I want to get checked off the list.

SOrry to hijack, but where can I get OEM switches? RR and RL door open won't activate the dome light, but pushing the switches will.

Subscribed! My RPass door does not trigger the dome light and neither the curtosy lights in the pass side doors work. Would be great to fix it. Thats the side my sons car seat is on. I never really put any time into troubleshooting it.

Last edited:
Subscribed! My RPass and Fpass doors do not trigger the dome light or the curtosy lights in the doors. Would be great to fix it. Thats the side my sons car seat is on.
Have you tried manually hitting the door switches

Yes, I have taken rear pass out and bypassed with no luck. The front pass triggers the dome but not the door curtosy light. I stopped there are is wasn't a big deal really. But now there's a thread.....

I'll def. check that splice in the floor board. Good suggestion.

Yes, I have taken rear pass out and bypassed with no luck. The front pass triggers the dome but not the door curtosy light. I stopped there are is wasn't a big deal really. But now there's a thread.....

I'll def. check that splice in the floor board. Good suggestion.
Courtesy lights are tough. I shorted them on my g35 and never bothered to fix them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom