Rear Disk question....doh! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1Fine40

Rust Buster
Threads
I'm doing the RDB conversion with the Monte calipers. The dumb question is where do the antirattle springs go? Anybody got a picture or a web site with a picture of this?? TIA!

"BTB engineers un-bolt the backing plates and cut them off with a torch to save time"

Kinda an oxy-morron isn't it? The brain suregeon carefully opened the sedated, yet trusting patient with an ax.

I assume you did not get "loaded" calipers? I din't have t, or rather didn't futz with anti rattle springs. If you mean the springs that hold the pads tight, they were already installed.
Sorry, I didn't help much.

Ed

dgangle said:
"BTB engineers un-bolt the backing plates and cut them off with a torch to save time"

Kinda an oxy-morron isn't it? The brain suregeon carefully opened the sedated, yet trusting patient with an ax.

You HAVE to unbolt the backing plates from the axle housing. But in order to get the backing plate completely off, you have to get it past the flange on the axle shaft. This involves either cutting the backing plate up (their preferred method) or drain the gear oil, pull the diff cover, pull center pin & block, remove c-clips, slide axle shafts out. Repeat in reverse.

If you have the means, cutting the backing plates seems like a no-brainer.

I would NEVER use a torch on backing plates.....'Cause I don't HAVE a torch.
I used a Sawzall. Never thought about doing brain surgery with it. I have seen skulls opened with tha brace 'n' bit however. That's truth.
Is there a big market for drum brake backing plates? If so, I futzed up.

Ed

Since nobody replied, they clip onto the inner brake pad, if ya' look it has a hole that one end of the clip fits, the 2 on the opposite snap onto the pad, then it snaps into the piston.........if ya' can't figure it out I can snap a pic.

Fawk I couldn't even understand what I typed....
Here....... :cheers:
Mvc-001f.jpg
Mvc-002f.jpg

Hey Thanks Texican! You da' man......That is exactly what I needed. I tried for half an hour to figure that out, but didn't see how or where those puppies fit....Thanks for helping this Idaho spud get better brakes!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom