Rear Disk Brake Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been doing some research on this rear brake conversion and it sounds good to me. My question is does anyone know where a person can just buy all the parts in a kit form 100% complete?
Stroker

Yes, you can. Search on Google. I saw it once but I cannot remember where. Came with monte carlo calipers I think.

dude, i just did one for about 300. i will put a kit together for you for that and i am pretty sure you wont be able to get one for that much anywhere. let me know. mine is a 75 also. it stops better than my mustang no. just finished yesterday.

yeah you can save big dollars by putting all the pieces together yo-self

I would not consider JT Outfitters. I just bought rear rotors from them and the centers were not machined to LC axles as their website states. My attempts to resolve the problem have not been successful to date. I even offered to have them machined locally to save them the pickup and return shipping. So far I have not received my promised phone call with a resolution.

It can be cheaper to pull the parts together yourself. Just be aware that the conversion brake lines talked about in one of the articles is no longer available. I bought my lines from Downey and they are sweet.

Downey sells a kit, as I believe does SOR.

the conversion lines are still available!!!! Use the raybestos part # at advance and they can get them. I believe they are off of a 1983 nissan 280. anywhere should be able to get them tho.

I bought everything from BTB, quality stuff, not cheap, remember you get what you pay for, do it right, and it will last a long time.

I'm buying all my parts tonight and I'm wondering, is the proportion valve needed when doing this conversion? Or is it just another gadget to have under the hood?

i just did mine and i did not install the prop valve, but i am going to. the rear locks up a split second before the fronts but until i get some time it will do. get the wilwood one from summitt. it seems to be the best price.

That prop valve is very important if you want ANY controll of your rig during a panic stop. Please, spend the money on it instead of new underwear.
I was on dry asphalt and the rear stared to come around and the truck started pitching sideways..... on wet or anything with less traction it would have been worse.
I added a summit prop valve and the braking is excelent. contolable right up to lock-up.
PMK

Did the TSM conversion on the 78 fj40 and did install the prop valve. TSM--excellent quality and service. Highly suggest you using taking the time to put in the valve; you can fine tune the balance and have excellent control. Couldnt believe the difference the conversion made.
Thanks for the ref to 280 brake lines; I made all the lines on my conversion.

If you don't have luck with the soft brake lines, ( I didn't ) I used an adapter I think its edeleman # 202 that converts the t-block from metric to 3/16 for the standard hard line's and then you can use a number of different soft lines to hook to your calipers.

Last night I bought the whole kit from BTB along with the SS braided brake lines. Hope the lines weren't a waste??

what did you end up paying?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom