Rear Disk Brake Conv.

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by McGruff44, Jul 6, 2005.

1. McGruff44

McGruff44

I need some advice on a rear disk brake conversion. I have a 75 FJ40 I am putting in a V8 and eliminating the stock transmission and stock transfer case. I need ideas on an emergency brake. Has anyone out there used the BTB Prod. kit and the e-brake calipers with their universal e-brake cable? If so was it an easy installation adapting it to the stock e-brake handle? Any other ideas?
    Thanks for your help,
    Vern

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    You have PM.

-Steve

3. petescoffee

petescoffee

I used the BTB kit on my 75 FJ40 w/o the ebrake, I still have the stock E Brake set up.
    The BTB kits are a little expensive but they are complete with everything you need except the flaring tool. With their instructions that include pictures (available to review at the web site) it was about a 4-6 hour job.
    TSM also has kits available. I believe they use the Eldorado brake caliper for the e Brake. Then of course you could got to the Tech area of IH8Mud and put a kit together yourself.
    For a MAster cylinder you can modify yours and install a proportioning valve or by a disc brake master cylinder for JTO or I believe MArlin sells them as well. They are either from a FJ80 or T100 I am not sure. I bought mine from JTO and it does not need the proportioning valve.
    The set up works great.
    Goog luck.

4. cardinal fang

cardinal fang

Read all about it here

El Dorado calipers with e brakes

5. dgangle

dgangle total rice

This was my bible during my RDB swap and is a great help.

6. lone gunman

lone gunman

steve (aka) Poser may have already told you but www.downeyoff-road.com also makes a simular kit, dont know if its on there site you may have to order the catalog. do a search it has been covered a lot. i have the eldarodo calipers and have posted a few times about them. they work pretty good i have been happy so far. also check www.tsm.com or at least i think thats there site they have a kit too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.