Rear disc rotor specs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
My rear drums and shoes are about at the end of their service life, so when I do the hydroboost conversion, I'm going to bite the bullet and do the rear discs as well.

I know it's been posted both here and at Pirate, but I can't find the posts at either place. What I know so far is that the rotors have to be from a 1/2 ton Chevy truck ('90-ish K1500 pickup was the most common I seem to remember), can't be any wider than 1.25" (ie: no HD rotors), and according to the specs on TSM's site, must be 11.56" diameter (11 9/16"). So I'm looking on Summit, and all the rotors I can find for 1/2 ton Chevies are 1.283" wide and 11.61" diameter. Given how small the differences are, is this still usable? I want to be completely sure before spending 200 bucks for a pair of rotors.

I also remember that the center hole on the rotors needs to be machined to a larger size. Anyone remember what size it needs to be?

look in the ih8mud tech section. there are a few different writups. morgan fletcher states the dimension somewhere around 4.19". When I did them for my fullfloat axle I believe it was around 4.25. I just put a caliper on the hub mounting surface & it worked like a charm.

I thought the rotors used by TSM's are modified in a drill ? ( what is right name for this kind of garage that make gears, resurface the rotors and those things . ? )

Tapage said:
I thought the rotors used by TSM's are modified in a drill ? ( what is right name for this kind of garage that make gears, resurface the rotors and those things . ? )

if you pay the extra for TSM rotors they come "machined" in their machine shop (in english, any shop that mills, drills, turns, etc.. metals is called machine shop).

como se dice "machine shop" en espanol? machinista?

If you buy the chevy/GM rotors from a parts guy (about $25 ea.) you need to have them turned to fit over the hub/flange. Up here it cost me $85 to have a shop turn 4 rotors. You could probably have it done in Panama for less than 1/4 of that.

Taller de Torno (no?)
And they do work pretty cheap in Central America...
Still.... chevy parts in Costa Rica, at least, aren't very cheap. So the minitruck conversion is still the better option.

Anyone know if the late-model 4runner rotors/calipers can work? they are 4wd discs here now. Or maybe the Prado series?

sandcruiser said:
Taller de Torno (no?)
And they do work pretty cheap in Central America...
Still.... chevy parts in Costa Rica, at least, aren't very cheap. So the minitruck conversion is still the better option.

Anyone know if the late-model 4runner rotors/calipers can work? they are 4wd discs here now. Or maybe the Prado series?

The mini truck conversion IMO is too large of a caliper for the rear & probably overkill but if the parts are cheap it could work out... someone else could comment on the specifics of that but you would most likely need a proportioning valve & mini truck caliper brackets.

From what I know of the 4runner/ taco rears I don't think the rear discs can be swapped without grafting the outers onto a cruiser axle w/ custom shafts or swapping the whole axle over. Prado is probably the same deal.

i used 79-85 hilux/mini-truck front rotors/ calipers on the rear of myFJ55, and 86 v6 4runner clipers w/ 82 landcruiser rotors on the front. i kept the stock 74 drum master. truck stops evenly (actualy locks up front just before the rear) and much faster than w/ drums.
to fit the rear rotors i ground ~2-3mm off the outside of the axle flange and then fitted a 1inch wheel spacer for calliper clearance. i think you realy only need ~1/2inch spacer, but that probly varies w/ what wheels you run.
HTH, carl

sixty said:
(in english, any shop that mills, drills, turns, etc.. metals is called machine shop).

gracias .. !

sixty said:
como se dice "machine shop" en espanol? machinista?

Torno - Tornería ( mos common named ) so in other Countries as Chile, it's named " Maestranza " that come from the word " Maestro " ( teacher - master ) that means this person have a lots of knoweledge.

sixty said:
If you buy the chevy/GM rotors from a parts guy (about $25 ea.) you need to have them turned to fit over the hub/flange. Up here it cost me $85 to have a shop turn 4 rotors. You could probably have it done in Panama for less than 1/4 of that.

You can resurfaced 4 rotors for about 40 USD or less .. so you can buy new ones ( for LAnd Cruiser ) from Taiwan for 40 USD ea aprox .. and set of mini truck o TLC calipers about 100 USD.

I prefeer to buy a hole kit from TSM for 2 reazons.

1. I haven't time to search good rotors options ..
2. I wanna keep my e-brake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom