Rear disc impressions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Well I finally got it all finished. 4-wheel disc now, and slotted on all four corners. No doubt about it, when baby stops, baby STOPS. I do have a couple issues though...

Pedal travel is immense. It's not spongy at all, but the thing goes damn near all the way to the floor now. I have a feeling it's due to the pistons in the Eldo calipers being WAY bigger than the drum brake wheel cylinders. I'm glad I went ahead and removed the LSPV from the system. The Wilwood prop. valve I installed is all the way open too. I have a feeling I'll be doing the hydroboost very soon, just to get the 1 1/8" bore GM master cylinder on my brake system.

With the ebrake, I have to pull the handle WAY up, damn near vertical to set it. I can forget about using it as an emergency brake as well, since I just don't have enough range of motion to put that much tension to the calipers. I'm bummed too, because I rigged that thing up so damn well. Make no mistake though, it's definately a mechanism meant for the range of motion of a pedal.

Overall though, I love how quickly and smoothly it stops. A lot of people say you won't feel any difference between drums and discs on the rear of a wagon, but there is a huge difference. I can now stop in probably half the distance it took me with an all stock system (factory calipers, no slotted rotors up front, drums on the back, 7/8" bore MC). Got some fine tuning to do, but it's awesome so far.

Glad to hear that it all worked out:)

Did you end up trimming the stops off the eldo calipers??? I am able to lock my truck up with the rear parking brake on any and all hills I have tried...plus I was able to keep the truck from moving if I started it in 2nd when I had teh manual tranny...

I finally found my left side caliper...why does everyone stock the right side but I have to order the left side????

calfj60 said:
Glad to hear that it all worked out:)

Did you end up trimming the stops off the eldo calipers??? I am able to lock my truck up with the rear parking brake on any and all hills I have tried...plus I was able to keep the truck from moving if I started it in 2nd when I had teh manual tranny...

I finally found my left side caliper...why does everyone stock the right side but I have to order the left side????

By stops are you referring to a tab that's part of the actual casting of the caliper? Mine are from an '84, and when I went to look for the tab, I found nothing. The brackets that the cables pull will come almost all the way up to the brackets that the cable's sleeves secure to. As it is right now, the only thing limiting my ability to use the ebrake is the range of motion that my handle has. I do still have the springs in place though. Do yours still have the springs on the ebrake hardware? Sitting on a level surface, in gear, the ebrake won't hold my truck in place :doh:

You should change out your power booster and master cylinder to one from an FJ80. You can get then relatively cheap and they fix your problem right up. Here is a pic of the engine compartment of my Canadian long wheelbase Toyota diesel powered Samurai. You can see the FJ80 master cylinder and power booster along with the proportioning valve. I did that change over when I went to vented rear disk brakes.....

picture.JPG

HZJ60 Guy said:
You should change out your power booster and master cylinder to one from an FJ80. You can get then relatively cheap and they fix your problem right up. Here is a pic of the engine compartment of my Canadian long wheelbase Toyota diesel powered Samurai. You can see the FJ80 master cylinder and power booster along with the proportioning valve. I did that change over when I went to vented rear disk brakes.....

picture.JPG

Isn't the bore on the 80's MC 1", same as the minitruck's?

Yulp they are the same bore, I have the same one on my 60. I have everything i need to do that swap and am just waiting for the brackets from proffits to show up. So, hopefully this weekend I will have the discs in my truck. Gathering all the parts myself the price tag came in a hair under 300 for everyting.

All

Do you need to have a 80 booster with the 80 MC? I am going to replace my "almost new" 62 MC this weekend along with the earlier 90/91 4Runner calipers.

Also I have the TSM rear disc conversion. I am trying to battle long pedal travel as well. My e-brake is very stiff, I can barely pull it up more than a few inches unless I am on the Barry Bonds Juice.

Thanks for any info

Jack

I will look at my new caliper when I pick up later today...

I will try and see if there is any difference from the one already on teh truck and if so try to expalin how i cut the caliper 4 plus years ago...

I also run the 80 mater with a stock booster...I got the change over year with the 4 wheel disk brakes but non abs...

Time for a nap then off to get my new caliper...79-85 is what I am running the 86 -91 are different

In my case I have a e-brake issue realted with the eldo calipers .. why .. ? simple the So setup in my TLC ..

I need to invert the calipers .. coz haven't enough space to go with the e-brake cable up the axle.

This issue afect me in 2 points.

1. The bleed is up side douwn, need to putoff the tire and caliper to bleed it.
2. e-brake cable in a complicate angle ..

front-caliperview.jpg

The travel of the e-brake cable in my setup have this limitation ..

two-inone.jpg

please you can post pics of your setup . ?

Below are the images for the TSM Rear Disc conversion EBrake setup. The PO had purchased the conversion but didn't install it. I believe he had custom rear e-brake lines made to accomodate the new length.

-Jack

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

Does anyone know how to draw on a picture before I post it??? If so I can post some pics of the caliper I took today and show what I cut off...

You can open the picture in paintbrush (comes with windows) then add drawing elements, then save as a new picture file.

calfj60 said:
Does anyone know how to draw on a picture before I post it??? If so I can post some pics of the caliper I took today and show what I cut off...

I always use Photoshop. To be honest, I can't think of any other software you can really do that with ;p

Thanks for the pics dude ..

Questions .. and maybe help.

1. Where do you order your lines . ? you have specs ( length and calibre )
2. Do you order ( if is yes where ) this part . ?

1.jpg

or you made it . ?

I don't know where the lines were ordered. I can check when I go home this evening, if the beer and irish stew don't get in the way. The PO ordered the kit, so I am sure there is some reciept in the 4 inch stack that I have collected with this truck...

The parts were not home-fab'ed, they were purchased.

-Jack

If you have tha hole info about places to purchace the parts .. would be great for me .. and solve some issues with my actual setup.

thanks in advance dude .. ( are not a time question .. I wan't to do it right .. some day :D )

I also went with the Eldo calipers and have the long brake pedal push problem and e-brake issue. The pedal feels mushy and goes down what feels scary far. It almost feels as though there is air in the lines, but the guy that installed it with the insurance work swears he bled it three times to get any air out.

The e-brake works but is weak unless I REALLy pull up. No chance my wife will be able to do that.

Has anyone gotten the e-brake to work at near stock levels?

I do have an 80 series MC in mine, but still get the mushy feel.

I can definitely say that braking is much improved in spite of all of this though, and I can lock it up any time I want. Braking is easily twice what it was before, making me question the shape my drum rears were in before.

Ok, I am a computer tard and have been trying to post a pic with what you need to cut off and can't:frown:

But I made the cut last night and again my ebrake works great and holds the truck no problem...

If you look at your caliper from the back of the truck you will see a small cast tab that keeps the ebrake cam from going toward the ground...grind it down so the cam can go past it...

I'm betting that PPL's ebrake cables came from Custom Cables: http://www.tsmmfg.com/Brake_Accessories_others.htm#CUSTOM AUTOMOTIVE TYPE BRAKE CABLES

It's also possible that TSM grinds off the tab Calf's talking about.

Colo's problem may be that the "mechanic" didn't bleed the system with the Eldo calipers unbolted with the bleed screws high per TSM's instructions. Haven't ever heard of spongy pedals with the 80 MC.

I need an excuse to visit TSM (been meaning to get my JDM FF hot tanked & take it to them to see if any of their kits will fit it), so let me know - they're about 5 mi from my shop.

that is it...that is where the PO for my rig got the cables. I checked the documentation I have.

I will also bet large $$$ that the same spongy feel I have is due to the calipers not being adjusted...Sunday's project!

-Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom