REar disc brakes from a mini truck on a cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know if a rear disc brake setup from a mini will work on a Landcruiser FJ40, 1972 axle.

SKY manufacturing Bracket's
Rotor's already machined
Caddilac Eldorado Front caliper's(non-E-break)
Comes with brake line's(rubber 8"s)

Does this sound like it would work

Thanks
Cacy

there are enuf differences that I don't believe it will. Really, that kit is no different from the "normal" disc kit for FJ40's tho...

I have been following a thread on PBB closely tho that discusses using minitruck solid rotors and Nissan rear calipers w/ ebrake....might experiment with that when I reassemble my rear axle. Supposedly, the Nissans hold better than the Eldorado rears do. (tho I've also heard the Eldos are adequate if adjusted/cleaned properly)

Please keep an update on the Nissan caliper idea. Sounds like an interesting choice. Ive done one conversion with the GM calipers but have two ahead to do.

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=8953;start=msg77724#msg77724 date=1071838000]
I have been following a thread on PBB closely tho that discusses using minitruck solid rotors and Nissan rear calipers w/ ebrake....might experiment with that when I reassemble my rear axle. Supposedly, the Nissans hold better than the Eldorado rears do. (tho I've also heard the Eldos are adequate if adjusted/cleaned properly)
[/quote]

Brian, are you talking about parking brake or clamping force/stopping power of the metric GM caliper?

My first rear disc brake swap on the red truck was using TSM brakets, and full-size GM calipers. While this system needed a prop. valve to decrease the stopping power for smaller tires, when I went to my rear D60, the Warn kit used the smaller metric caliper, which, when running the 38.5's and now 42's, was not that great. I had a buddy laser cut some new brakets for the larger caliper, and that, along with a 78-45 pickup 1.125" bore master, I HAVE BRAKES, AND LOTS OF EM!! I now have the same size caliper front and rear, and have found that I do not need that prop. valve either.

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah....

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom