REar disc brakes from a mini truck on a cruiser

• Thread starter megolfer
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
M

megolfer

SILVER Star
Does anyone know if a rear disc brake setup from a mini will work on a Landcruiser FJ40, 1972 axle.

SKY manufacturing Bracket's
Rotor's already machined
Caddilac Eldorado Front caliper's(non-E-break)
Comes with brake line's(rubber 8"s)

Does this sound like it would work

Thanks
Cacy

woody

woody

Staff member
Admin
Website
www.TieRodMedia.com
there are enuf differences that I don't believe it will. Really, that kit is no different from the "normal" disc kit for FJ40's tho...

I have been following a thread on PBB closely tho that discusses using minitruck solid rotors and Nissan rear calipers w/ ebrake....might experiment with that when I reassemble my rear axle. Supposedly, the Nissans hold better than the Eldorado rears do. (tho I've also heard the Eldos are adequate if adjusted/cleaned properly)

A

ar2stp48

SILVER Star
Please keep an update on the Nissan caliper idea. Sounds like an interesting choice. Ive done one conversion with the GM calipers but have two ahead to do.

Poser

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=8953;start=msg77724#msg77724 date=1071838000]
I have been following a thread on PBB closely tho that discusses using minitruck solid rotors and Nissan rear calipers w/ ebrake....might experiment with that when I reassemble my rear axle. Supposedly, the Nissans hold better than the Eldorado rears do. (tho I've also heard the Eldos are adequate if adjusted/cleaned properly)
[/quote]

Brian, are you talking about parking brake or clamping force/stopping power of the metric GM caliper?

My first rear disc brake swap on the red truck was using TSM brakets, and full-size GM calipers. While this system needed a prop. valve to decrease the stopping power for smaller tires, when I went to my rear D60, the Warn kit used the smaller metric caliper, which, when running the 38.5's and now 42's, was not that great. I had a buddy laser cut some new brakets for the larger caliper, and that, along with a 78-45 pickup 1.125" bore master, I HAVE BRAKES, AND LOTS OF EM!! I now have the same size caliper front and rear, and have found that I do not need that prop. valve either.

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah....

-Steve