Rear Disc brake caliper/pad problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The rear disc brakes (which I hate!) have been messed up for months.

Here is the saga!

First time in mud - they pack up and I do not realize it - the inside pad wears out in a week. It seems the slides never work -

I replace the pads -grease the slides - then the calipers begin to leak - (I have the ones with the emergency brake) so I replace the calipers - but the slides never really work well - I strive to keep them clean but to no avail!

Yesterday, I start to tear the back end apart to replace the inner seal and I notice that both inner brake pads are gone again (after 8000 miles) and the one caliper is leaking.

I am wondering if I go with the Downey calipers without the emergency brake (keep it simple stupid - KISS policy) if their calipers are better or worth the $200? Both sides have problems with the slide bolts.....

I am also wondering if the brake calipers are Monte Carlo or Eldorado - depending on the emergency brake addition - ie what to buy?

I took it to Flagstaff 4x4 a few months back because I blew a caliper in front of the place - and had zero brakes - they charged $300+ to replace one caliper - and the pads all around - I thought that was a bit much but it was snowing and so I choked!

Appreciate any comments - and no I have not replaced the seal - yet!

Thank Goodness I bought a 40 for times like these!

freightdog,

I'm not very familiar with any of this, but I'm currently gathering the parts to rear disk brakes with the ebrake calipers as well. The Eldordao calipers have the ebrake.

I'm not familiar with how the ebrake mechanism works, but if it's mechanical and not hydrolic, I would guess that it only applies pressure to the inner pad, and then caliper slides along the sliders to distribute the force. If that's the case could it be that you're ebrake cable isn't adjust correctly and when you let off it's keeping pressure on the inside pads?

just a guess
kipper

kipper said:
freightdog,

I'm not very familiar with any of this, but I'm currently gathering the parts to rear disk brakes with the ebrake calipers as well. The Eldordao calipers have the ebrake.

I'm not familiar with how the ebrake mechanism works, but if it's mechanical and not hydrolic, I would guess that it only applies pressure to the inner pad, and then caliper slides along the sliders to distribute the force. If that's the case could it be that you're ebrake cable isn't adjust correctly and when you let off it's keeping pressure on the inside pads?

just a guess
kipper

That is what I thought about 4 months ago - so for this set of pads I never used the e-brake.

But thanks for the thought - and thanks for the eldorado info.....

The rear calipers are US "sliding frame, single-piston". I've never liked them, but they work OK when new & thereafter if well-maintained.

Check this out - they seem to know what they're doing (someone on this board has their setup installed) maybe that's what you have: http://www.tsmmfg.com/3110.htm

Thanks - that is what I have -

I am gonna get rid of the eldorado screw type calipers - and hope for simplicity with the Monte Carlo non emergency brake ones.....

Thanks again!

Jeff

Were yours new when installed on your FF? And does GM recommend greasing the slides/pins?

wwwouu I'm very very interesting in know the situation, do you have pics .. ? Im planning buy this kit TSMMFG with e-brake ( the ebrake is very important for me ) with this history, give me a dubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom