rear differential leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well today i was doin a little work under the cruiser and discovered my rear differential is leakin pretty bad. Im guessing a old bad seal. I have never really done any ork on differentials before. So what do i need to do to fix this or roughly how much would it cost to get my local auto shop to repair it.

Where's it leaking from? If it's from the end that the driveshaft's attached to, it's probably the pinion seal. You can search the forums for info on this repair. A shop should charge around 1 hour of labor. The part is real cheap.

89GASHOG said:
Where's it leaking from? If it's from the end that the driveshaft's attached to, it's probably the pinion seal. You can search the forums for info on this repair. A shop should charge around 1 hour of labor. The part is real cheap.

im not exaclty sure where it is exactly leaking but if it is not the pinion seal what other part of the diff could it be

Where's the drip? If it's the pinion seal, you'd see a trail of fluid coming from where the driveshaft attaches to the differential, running from front to rear before dripping on the ground. It could also be leaking from the drain plug, fill plug or differential cover gasket. Get underneath with a bright light and try to pinpoint the source.

89GASHOG said:
If it's the pinion seal, you'd see a trail of fluid coming from where the driveshaft attaches to the differential, running from front to rear before dripping on the ground.

thats it!!! so what is the dificaulty and cost to repair this?

a 32mm socket...new crush nut...and a pinion seal....your lookin at like 15 bucks

lowtideride said:
a 32mm socket...new crush nut...and a pinion seal....your lookin at like 15 bucks

Shipped ;) :D

sweet bro....all that plastic red tape is falling off because of the 5ock rains and my birf is still toast.

lowtideride said:
sweet bro....all that plastic red tape is falling off because of the 5ock rains and my birf is still toast.

Left here yesterday :) ;)

BlueBoxFJ60 said:

$15 (actually less) shipped for the seal and the nut... ;)

yeah kurt is the man...i cant count how many times i got stuff off that nut case....hes a cool dude and will help ya out no matter what....and it only took a few months of making fun of him to finally ship a cruiser outfittters sticker with his crap....thanks bro. you're the only dude i get parts from now... :beer: :D

what are the exact parts i need

Check Lowtideride's post. That's all you need. Just tell'em you've got an FJ60 and you're in business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom