Rear diff pinnion nut cannot loosen (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello house,

Kindly help. I need to remove my rear diff pinion seal and replace it but the pinion but has stocked to the pinion and refused to be loosen.

Any other ways of loosening the but. See picture of the but.

Thanks
IMG_20180707_140851.jpg

Are you using a pneumatic impact wrench on that? I've never had one fail to come off, no matter how stubborn.

put a good hex socket on it and a breaker bar so its close to 90 degress to the axle and put a floor jack or bottle jack under it and lift up on the breaker bar with the jack if not as said a good impact will work i use a 1200 ft lb one. dewalt 20 v and nothing fails to come off good luck

Or socket and breaker bar with 3ft of pipe over breaker bar for leverage. Need high grade socket and breaker bar (I use a 3/4" drive breaker bar with adapter to 1/2" drive socket)

Use a heavy duty 6 sided box socket. So not use cheap socket as they will round off the nut. Make sure 100% it won't slip. Once loosen, count the NUMBER of TURNS the nut takes to come off the thread. When you are tightening it, turn the same number of turns.

What nissanh said: but you might spray some PB Blaster on it first. Tap it with a brass hammer and let it do its job. Only use a quality High Impact 6 sided box socket with 3/4 braker bar. There are different lengths of braker bars, the longer, the more leverage. Another tip is to try and slightly tighten the nut first before trying to losen the nut.

OK. I will try this. I need to get the pipe etc

Thanks and will update later
Your floor jack handle comes off, and makes good extension bar for a breaker bar. It's usually got a knurled texture, too, which is good for grip. If you are putting a lot of ft-lbs on a stuck nut, use a six-point impact socket and at least a 1/2 inch breaker bar for safety (3/4 is better!), and to not damage the nut... 3/8 drive is not appropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom