Rear Diff... Pinion Play (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MANUCHAO

omnia mea mecum porto
Threads
So, the rig has developed a slight rumble when i get off the gas pedal...

I checked for play on my rear diff (rig & T/C on neutral ),and i gots about a 1/8" play may be less (up and down). I'll also check for in/out play...... once the DS is off...
Rear diff was rebuilt (some 30k ago, with 7k of that mileage on less travel gravel roads) by reputable shop back home... it is a 4.11 and has a solid spacer in it...
I'm going to pull the rear DS and check the pinion nut and indent.....
My question is.... if loose, should i re-torque and replace with new pinion nut on it? (I think i have a spare pinion nut)
I'm 1600 miles from SurCal at the moment...

BTW i did find this thread, and might be alright, or not in too bad shape since i run a solid spacer and not a crush sleeve, bit thought i post, and ask here anyways...

Manu...

Last edited:
Solid spacer makes setting preload easier. Bearing could be on its way out but gently snugging it up a teensy bit could get some more mile out of it. The spacer means you just need an outer bearing, seal and shims to fix it as long as the problem is in the outer bearing only. Might not be a bad idea to tighten your bearing a tad, open the cover and paint the gears and see if there are other problems lurking.

Solid spacer makes setting preload easier. Bearing could be on its way out but gently snugging it up a teensy bit could get some more mile out of it. The spacer means you just need an outer bearing, seal and shims to fix it as long as the problem is in the outer bearing only. Might not be a bad idea to tighten your bearing a tad, open the cover and paint the gears and see if there are other problems lurking.

gently snugging it up a teensy bit could get some more mile out of it.

Will do....
Thanks...

open the cover and paint the gears and see if there are other problems lurking.
Forgot to mention I'm running an FZJ80 chassis under the rig.... thus no cover to check the innards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom