Rear diff lock actuator rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I replaced the rear diff lock actuator a little over 2 years ago after the magnets came loose from the motor and some how grenaded into a million pieces. I replaced it with a brand new aisin actuator. After that it worked good for a about a year, then it worked but shower and not as quickly for about 6 months and the last 6 months it hasn't worked at all. I finally got around to working on it today, and thinking it had to be a wiring or ecu issue since the actuator wasn't that old. I troubleshot everything on the electric side and all was good so I decided to pull he actuator. I couldn't really believe the condition of the internals. It's not like we live in a wet environment or a do a bunch of creek crossings. Hopefully I can get this thing freed up and working again, and if so, I intend on sealing it up with some rtv as well as the orings and making sure the breather is routed higher up. Anyone have any thoughts on how else so much water could have gotten in there?
20230128_171328.jpg
20230128_171334.jpg
20230128_173459.jpg
20230128_173503.jpg

Moisture build up from a plugged up vent ? ? ? Just a guess.

Don’t be hatin, but I’m finally opening my front diff actuator after 27 years(a lot of which was spent in sh*#hole MN), and this is how it looks:
1675019822151.jpeg

Outside was shot though. It just went through the bead blaster w/ glass beads.

@Pz10420 : Is that mud/dirt on the inside of the housing?

Last edited:
I've done a few creek crossings and one lake crossing and always checked the diff oil afterwards and it looked good. But I never thought to check the actuator internals. I do intend on extending the breather on it when I fix/replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom