Rear cross member replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bradyadventures.com
I set out to install my new dissent off-road rear bumper yesterday to discover my rear crossmember has been damaged. The damage has likely been there a while and I am certain replacement is the only option. Has anyone had their rear cross member replaced before? What kind of shocking repair cost am I looking at? At this point I am primarily looking for emotional support 🤣😭🤣😭🤣😭

I set out to install my new dissent off-road rear bumper yesterday to discover my rear crossmember has been damaged. The damage has likely been there a while and I am certain replacement is the only option. Has anyone had their rear cross member replaced before? What kind of shocking repair cost am I looking at? At this point I am primarily looking for emotional support 🤣😭🤣😭🤣😭

Whatever there can be cut out. Have a shop cut a 3x4" plate for both sides and then cut a cross bar, 2x3" box of a reasonable thickness works. Tack to plates and weld it in where OEM was.

Shop should be able to do it for a few hundred.

Paint with POR15 to prevent rust.

Whatever there can be cut out. Have a shop cut a 3x4" plate for both sides and then cut a cross bar, 2x3" box of a reasonable thickness works. Tack to plates and weld it in where OEM was.

Shop should be able to do it for a few hundred.

Paint with POR15 to prevent rust.
x2. Although, some bumpers require that crossmember be cut out anyways. I have no idea if the Dissent does, but I’m guessing it does not.

x2. Although, some bumpers require that crossmember be cut out anyways. I have no idea if the Dissent does, but I’m guessing it does not.
Thanks for the suggestions, the dissent bumper actually uses the 4 holes in the center of the crossmember, two of which have capture nuts, to mount and provide support to the bumper. Even if I have a welding shop weld in a box I will need to have holes drilled in the original locations and it will need to be pretty close to the original position to work right. I have put enough time and money into this truck I am ready to do what it takes but still a s***ty surprise.

Thanks for the suggestions, the dissent bumper actually uses the 4 holes in the center of the crossmember, two of which have capture nuts, to mount and provide support to the bumper. Even if I have a welding shop weld in a box I will need to have holes drilled in the original locations and it will need to be pretty close to the original position to work right. I have put enough time and money into this truck I am ready to do what it takes but still a s***ty surprise.
Then cut the existing one off, go to a junkyard and get a good used one for $100-200, and have somebody weld it on. FWIW, you can still get a brand new one from Toyota for $400-$480 (part #: 51290-60010). I can’t imagine anyone would charge you more than $200 to weld it on.

Then cut the existing one off, go to a junkyard and get a good used one for $100-200, and have somebody weld it on. FWIW, you can still get a brand new one from Toyota for $400-$480 (part #: 51290-60010). I can’t imagine anyone would charge you more than $200 to weld it on.
Thanks for the part number! That definitely puts me at ease. I am going to start hunting for good welders tomorrow.

Pictures would help. There might be an alternative to replacing it.

Pictures would help. There might be an alternative to replacing it.
not sure how easy it is to see but passenger side is pushed in and twisted under.

20210515_120158.jpg

20210515_120154.jpg

20210515_120151.jpg

20210515_120537.jpg

Insurance paid this tab, few hours labor + over $600 for the part. Line item #1

PS - I love how much money the shop got for all the " Remove and inspect " jobs. Did they really need to charge .4 hours to inspect my rear carpet? Insurance companies and body shops are such scheming little jerks.

Acrobat_2021-05-17_08-39-51.png

Last edited:
I have a california rust free rear crossmember i cut off when i did my 4x4 labs bumper. its free to you if you wanna pay for the ride. i didnt do the cleanest job cutting it off, but got as close as possible to the frame rails. Holler at me if you're interested in photos.

I have a california rust free rear crossmember i cut off when i did my 4x4 labs bumper. its free to you if you wanna pay for the ride. i didnt do the cleanest job cutting it off, but got as close as possible to the frame rails. Holler at me if you're interested in photos.
I really appreciate the offer but your probably a bit far for me :) If I was out west I'd be on the way.

Do you still have this? I'm just up the coast from you and could use it for a repair.

I really appreciate the offer but your probably a bit far for me :) If I was out west I'd be on the way.
Reach out to a few bumper vendors like Dissent or Trail Tailor to see if they happen to have any of these cross members cut off around their shops. It would be worth it to ship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom