Rear cross member and pintle hitch.....are there real numbers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You could put a bit of weld in place of the missing bolt
yeah, that seems like the easiest path and I know I could grind it off it I wanted to, but the idea of welding it on hurts.

OK....finally done!

Got my BelMetric grade 10.9 bolts in....along with hardened washers and lock nuts.

They are a great source for fasteners. You can purchase in small amounts, they've always gotten my order right and they ship quickly.

So....the final installation is complete. Just need to remove the Port Installed skid plate (I mean hitch) now.

View attachment 2576652
View attachment 2576654
View attachment 2576655

How long are those bolts you ordered from Bel Metric?
Just ordered the Curt 13091 4-bolt receiver.

Amazon product ASIN B000765E26

You can measure how much room you have behind the holes pretty easily. I recall using something like 50mm. FWIW I would not want to put much total weight behind that receiver given that it's cantilevered well below the frame crossmember. The pintle hitch is in line, more or less, with the cross member. The issue won't manifest in a static situation but will arise during acceleration (probably a ha ha there) or deceleration. The hitch will act as a lever and will twist the frame crossmember. The risk can be mitigated with trailer brakes but probably not totally eliminated.

Make sure the hitch you ordered has the correct bolt pattern for your Land Cruiser.

Also, I ordered two of the bolts as (all thread). There are nuts welded on the backside of the cross member on two of the holes (the other two do not have them). So I didn't want the shoulder of the bolt to be longer than the thickness of the pintle, safety chain plate and cross-member. The bolts are longer than needed but it helps to be able to reach them and get the nuts started.

Pintle done1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm only using it for mounting a bike rack. And maybe tow my yard trailer which weighs 1k lbs maybe.

Should be just the ticket for that.

I tow from the pintle holes, although it's not a pintle hitch. This setup does just great with my popup camper, including a little bit of off-roading with the camper in tow.

View attachment 2576675

Also bear in mind that toyota has no problem approving pretty much the identical setup on late-model vehicles. I think they just didn't bother with testing/approvals back in the 90s. I have also read here and there that the 80 series with a pintle is actually rated to 5000 in other markets, but can't really back that up with anything.

Here's genuine toyota hitch for a late-model 4runner. Bolts to the rear subframe exactly like mine.

s-l1600.jpg

:edit: to be fair, the 4runner rear crossmember does appear to have more structural metal out where it meets the rails (no gaps)

bumper_swap_15.jpg
Old thread. But where do u get that pintle receiver?

I got mine from Cruiser Outfitters. It's not listed on the site anywhere, I just called and asked if they had something that would work for me, and this is what they sent.

I got mine from Cruiser Outfitters. It's not listed on the site anywhere, I just called and asked if they had something that would work for me, and this is what they sent.
@cruiseroutfit? Still available?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom