Rear Crankshaft Seal / Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I am swapping the 3FE in my 89 FJ 62 for another 3FE that I purchased and while I was replacing the rear crank seal I ran into a head scratcher. The new engine seems to be missing the metal ring between the outer edge of the crank and the inner foam of the seal, you can see the difference in the pictures. Can someone provide some insight as to whether or not I can purchase that ring somewhere and install the way it sits or do I have to take the ring from the old crank and reinstall?

I am not sure if this is something that requires removing the crank and pressing the ring on or if this is something that can be installed with the crank installed or maybe its not a big deal at all if its not there (I am guessing it is a big deal). Can anyone provide some insight? TIA.

Kevin

IMG_9328.jpeg
IMG_9329.jpeg

Frequently, aftermarket factory reman engines, like Jasper Engines, turn the RMS surface necessitating a larger, non-OEM oil seal so it doesn't leak. I can't answer your question about the ring, but it looks to me like that Rear Main Seal surface was turned. This is just a guess, though with the limited pix you posted. Never seen a RMS like that, either.

Is that engine with the orange seal a reman ?

Frequently, aftermarket factory reman engines, like Jasper Engines, turn the RMS surface necessitating a larger, non-OEM oil seal so it doesn't leak. I can't answer your question about the ring, but it looks to me like that Rear Main Seal surface was turned. This is just a guess, though with the limited pix you posted. Never seen a RMS like that, either.

Is that engine with the orange seal a reman ?
Thanks for the reply, I am happy to post as many pics as needed to figure it out so let me know and I will get them. I installed the orange seal, it is a FEL PRO from Rock Auto, however it is the same seal dimensions as the factory Toyota seal. I originally had the thought that I purchased an incorrect RMS so I ordered a factory Toyota seal and it is identical which led me to take a closer look at the crank and noticed the ring on the old engine.

I don't know if the engine I purchased is a reman or not, I was told it was a running engine with about a 100K on the clock, so I went for it as the price was right (after confirming compression #'s). My main concern is that I don't want to install the engine and have to pull it all back apart again due to a leaky RMS.

I will inspect/ take some more pictures inside/around the seal tomorrow morning to see if it covers the mating surfaces or if there is a big gap due to the space where the ring should be.

Thanks for the reply, I am happy to post as many pics as needed to figure it out so let me know and I will get them. I installed the orange seal, it is a FEL PRO from Rock Auto, however it is the same seal dimensions as the factory Toyota seal. I originally had the thought that I purchased an incorrect RMS so I ordered a factory Toyota seal and it is identical which led me to take a closer look at the crank and noticed the ring on the old engine.

I don't know if the engine I purchased is a reman or not, I was told it was a running engine with about a 100K on the clock, so I went for it as the price was right (after confirming compression #'s). My main concern is that I don't want to install the engine and have to pull it all back apart again due to a leaky RMS.

I will inspect/ take some more pictures inside/around the seal tomorrow morning to see if it covers the mating surfaces or if there is a big gap due to the space where the ring should be.
I also purchased a RMS from an 1987 which has a larger inner seal area which I might try to install to see how it fits. This picture is from another post I located during my research.

IMG_9230.jpeg

I also purchased a RMS from an 1987 which has a larger inner seal area which I might try to install to see how it fits. This picture is from another post I located during my research.

View attachment 3035286
I can't seem to locate an edit button for my posts to add more context, I am thinking that someone took a 3F block and put the 3FE head on it. Can anyone post a picture of the RMS area of a 3F to confirm that it does or does not have that additional ring on the crankshaft? TIA

View attachment 3035286

I once inadvertently installed a 2F RMS into a 3FE. I had requested a 3FE RMS but was given a 2F RMS. Outer dimensions were the same but the inner diameter of the 2F RMS was smaller. It was a tight fit but I forced it in and that should have been a clue that something was wrong. In less than 50 miles the 3FE was badly bleeding oil and in pulling out the 2F RMS realized the error.

I am almost positive that the 2F rear seal will work on the 3F crank without the metal ring. I measured them with calipers once and they were close enough that I chalked it up my measuring skills being the slight difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom