Rear Console back piece loose? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The piece that has the second row cupholder has been loose on one side for years. I think this started when one of the incidents of having the CD changer replaced at the dealer happened. It snaps on but comes a little loose on the left side. This makes it where it will pop loose with just a nudge and fall off onto the floor. The connectors seem OK. I wonder if the rest of the console may have some alignment issue when they changed the cd changer?

Is this a known issue or just my issue?

The piece I am referring to is the large rear end of the center console that has the cupholder attached to it when removed.

Last edited:
Here ya go. You can see the gap on the left side.
20200614_185951.jpg

20200614_190010.jpg

I just won't stay snapped in. Was wondering if this was a "thing"

There are 2 screws in the cupholder, maybe one or both are missing.

I recently had the cupholder off and back on. The reason I took it off was to see if the cupholder was interfering with the fit. It helped a little but didn't solve the problem. So put it back. No issues there.

you can see in the pic that it isn't aligned, and the screw on the bottom lower left (looking at pic) is missing. The rear cap part of the assembly goes over the guide.
Move your seat forward all the way and look down at it from the back seat. Small black screw just like the passenger side.
(going from memory)

you can see in the pic that it isn't aligned, and the screw on the bottom lower left (looking at pic) is missing. The rear cap part of the assembly goes over the guide.
Move your seat forward all the way and look down at it from the back seat. Small black screw just like the passenger side.
(going from memory)

Well that may be the problem. There isn't a screw on either side then. Maybe they left them off. I'll look it over. Would be nice if it was that simple.

(going from memory)

So I took off the back. Pretty easy since it falls off! That dimpled area is indeed missing a crew which seems to fasten the main portion of the console to the frame that houses the DVD changer I guess. But the may be why the cover doesn't go all the way in on that side. Can't slide the seat because the battery is out.

I also noted it looked like behind the cupholder is two places for screws that fasten that back to the main portion. But you would have to be able to slide the cupholder all the way out to get to them. I couldn't figure out how to do that. Is there a way to release that cupholder while the back is in place?

long screwdriver with cupholder extended all the way, bad angle though.
YEs there are two screws both sides lower portion. That's the only thing I use to hold mine on.
Yes when you remove the CD player there's a standoff metal bracket that bolts down (or spot welded). Even if they did remove it the srew should still fit.
I removed the cupholder and glued the cover on. To complicated to fix for me. I have pics if you wanted them posted.

long screwdriver with cupholder extended all the way, bad angle though.
YEs there are two screws both sides lower portion. That's the only thing I use to hold mine on.
Yes when you remove the CD player there's a standoff metal bracket that bolts down (or spot welded). Even if they did remove it the srew should still fit.
I removed the cupholder and glued the cover on. To complicated to fix for me. I have pics if you wanted them posted.

I had the dvd player replaced twice around 2003(due to me dumping ice tea in it both times). Third time it was past warranty and there it has been ever since, dead as Zed bayby. So I'm thinking they just didn't put it back quite right and it has been loose for 17 years. Thought I aught to get around to looking further at it since I decided to keep the truck!

Thanx for the pix, that helps a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom