Rear coil airbags... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '97 80 is called on to carry a motorcycle (~280 lbs) on the hitch. Unfortunately, the 80 looks a little sad with it's tail squatted to the ground when the bike is on. It also handles squirrely - I assume due to the weight being unloaded from the front. Since this is a DD and the motorcycle is used ~12 weekends a year - I want to keep the stock ride, hence the air bags in the coil setup.

Questions:
1) Any experiences/Is there a preferred manufacturer for these?
2) Would they help with the wandering?
3) Anybody have any installation tips?

BTW, I tried search first but did not come up with anything...

There is a guy in LSLC that put bags in a LX450 so that it could handle towing a trailered FJ40. He seems to like it really well. Drove it to CM towing the Zeeb. Not sure the MFG. but he was happy with the result.

I have a set in my 99 but they are a pain to install. On LC the air hose have to come from under the spring which makes the routing a lot more difficult and they are also a lot more exposed to the element. I have to pull mine back out about 3 times to get the hole location right. The stock holes in the bottom spring mount are not excatly centered and the spring are not exaclty sitting in the center all the time.

Once I got it figured out its a great setup for exaclty that kind of reason you mention.

Do you load up your Cruiser inside? If not, you can get away with Rancho RS9000X adjustable shocks. If you do, you might want to try air shocks or switch to OME set up. :)

AirLift springs in the rear coils. Great product, reliable and cost effective ($100). I tow with 500lbs tongue weight perfectly level. Don't use air shocks - shock mounts are for damping suspension movement, not for carrying heavy loads.

Nothing came up on search? This has been around a few times, methinks.

DougM

Thanks for all the replies - that is just what I was looking for.

Doug - I had seen the topic as well, however I didn't know the magic keywords. I searched on "coil air bag", went back 600 days (well back to the SOR days) and even tried to search the SOR archives and did not get any usable info.

Reviving this old thread - looking for some additional support since adding the 24 gal aux tank and tongue weight of a loaded off road trailer. A few days ago, checking weight of rig and trailer loaded up for a trip, trailer was 2K and rig was 7.5K. I have the OME 2.5 lift kit and it is perfect height until loaded up for overlanding and then with trailer attached, the rear just sags too much. Search found this thread for me and with an @IdahoDoug recommendation, it's just what I'm looking for. Icing on the cake is the price - still under $100 on Amazon.

Last edited:
Had Airlift airbags in my rig with 2" Ironman lift constant load capacity springs. Installed the airbags after adding the 24g auxillary tank. Removed the airbags and springs and replaced then with the heavier rated OME 864's, mainly for KISS and Murphy.

These are the ones I used for my 2" lifted suspension and worked flawlessly with 10psi: AIR LIFT 60808 1000 Series Rear Air Spring Kit

Had Airlift airbags in my rig with 2" Ironman lift constant load capacity springs. Installed the airbags after adding the 24g auxillary tank. Removed the airbags and springs and replaced then with the heavier rated OME 864's, mainly for KISS and Murphy.

These are the ones I used for my 2" lifted suspension and worked flawlessly with 10psi: AIR LIFT 60808 1000 Series Rear Air Spring Kit
I considered upgrading from my 16 yr old 863's to 864's or whatever they're called now, but I don't want a "stinkbug" when I'm not towing or loaded up. (Can't find a conversion chart for old OME #'s to their new #'s, anyway.) Air springs are just what I'm looking for, IF they work. In this thread, @bajaphile says: " Also it is important to buy the stock length bags, even with a lift...... " Makes me curious since you used the 60808's on your Ironman springs. Airlift's application page says those bags are for '07-'09 Chrysler Aspen or '04-'09 Dodge Durango. Also, my research found that the fill hose needs to run out through the bottom spring perch. Is that how you ran yours?

I considered upgrading from my 16 yr old 863's to 864's or whatever they're called now, but I don't want a "stinkbug" when I'm not towing or loaded up. (Can't find a conversion chart for old OME #'s to their new #'s, anyway.) Air springs are just what I'm looking for, IF they work. In this thread, @bajaphile says: " Also it is important to buy the stock length bags, even with a lift...... " Makes me curious since you used the 60808's on your Ironman springs. Airlift's application page says those bags are for '07-'09 Chrysler Aspen or '04-'09 Dodge Durango. Also, my research found that the fill hose needs to run out through the bottom spring perch. Is that how you ran yours?
This thread has the correct P/N's.

Also, read the rest of the thread about hose location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom