1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear coil airbags...

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by SeanAndHis80, Jan 18, 2004.

1. SeanAndHis80

SeanAndHis80

My '97 80 is called on to carry a motorcycle (~280 lbs) on the hitch. Unfortunately, the 80 looks a little sad with it's tail squatted to the ground when the bike is on. It also handles squirrely - I assume due to the weight being unloaded from the front. Since this is a DD and the motorcycle is used ~12 weekends a year - I want to keep the stock ride, hence the air bags in the coil setup.

Questions:
    1) Any experiences/Is there a preferred manufacturer for these?
    2) Would they help with the wandering?
    3) Anybody have any installation tips?

BTW, I tried search first but did not come up with anything...

2. Panzer

Panzer SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    There is a guy in LSLC that put bags in a LX450 so that it could handle towing a trailered FJ40. He seems to like it really well. Drove it to CM towing the Zeeb. Not sure the MFG. but he was happy with the result.

3. Augie

Augie

I have a set in my 99 but they are a pain to install. On LC the air hose have to come from under the spring which makes the routing a lot more difficult and they are also a lot more exposed to the element. I have to pull mine back out about 3 times to get the hole location right. The stock holes in the bottom spring mount are not excatly centered and the spring are not exaclty sitting in the center all the time.

Once I got it figured out its a great setup for exaclty that kind of reason you mention.

4. FJ809496TLC

FJ809496TLC 80 series addict GOLD Star

Do you load up your Cruiser inside? If not, you can get away with Rancho RS9000X adjustable shocks. If you do, you might want to try air shocks or switch to OME set up. :)

5. Scamper

Scamper

6. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

AirLift springs in the rear coils. Great product, reliable and cost effective ($100). I tow with 500lbs tongue weight perfectly level. Don't use air shocks - shock mounts are for damping suspension movement, not for carrying heavy loads.

Nothing came up on search? This has been around a few times, methinks.

DougM

7. SeanAndHis80

SeanAndHis80

Thanks for all the replies - that is just what I was looking for.

Doug - I had seen the topic as well, however I didn't know the magic keywords. I searched on "coil air bag", went back 600 days (well back to the SOR days) and even tried to search the SOR archives and did not get any usable info.