1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rear cargo "slider" windows - how to open easier - lube needed?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Cobra Jet, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

The rear cargo "manual" slider windows on my Cruiser appear to have never been used. So, during my cleaning session, I unlocked each of them. Once unlocked, I tried to slide them, but I'm assuming due to age and non-use, it is very difficult to slide either side open... Even once I was able to get the driver's side window slightly open, it was then hard to shut it as well.

Do any of you have any tips/tricks for opening/closing stuck or binding windows?

Is there a special lube to use so the windows will open/close easier? Is there a certain method of removing them completely to clean out the slider tracks?

I just don't want to damage the rubber or seals by trying to force the windows open 100%, or while trying to close them again.

2. Bear80

Bear80

I could see maybe alittle silicon spray around the tracks let it set for a min and give the windows a tug. I usally apply some silicon grease aka spark plug boot grease, to my window tracks every now and then to keep them from sticking.

Also Armor All is silicon based so you could use that to try and unstick them and for future lube.

3. Arsenal

Arsenal

i used compressed air to clean my tracks, then gave everything a liberal coating of silicone, works much better now.

4. UltraFJ40

UltraFJ40 ที่นี่และมี SILVER Star

I'd try a "Q Tip" to clean inside the track with Hot Soapy Water. You may be able to get most of the crap out of there.

Doug

5. lahar50

lahar50

Silicon grease would be best.It might help soften up the seal.

6. willywaxer

willywaxer

Silicone is good, I found a dry teflon lube I use for my bike chains worked great. Point is, you want something non-greasy so dust and dirt won't stick Keep the K-Y in the glovebox where it belongs :ban: .