Rear Caliper ID Help Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tank5

SILVER Star
Threads
I need some help, I tried searching through the forum and referenced both a 1993 and 1997 FSM, and also conducted some google searching with out finding an answer.

I spent a lot of money on a custom FF rear axle build that used 80 series hubs and associated parts. This was supposed to include re-manufactured rear calipers. I received a set of mismatched calipers of which, one I could identify as an actual Toyota (AT) re-manufactured caliper. They are both slightly different (don't have the bolt holes for the "boot shield inspection hole cover?") than the 1993 FF axle I compared them to that I have separate. I have some level of OCD and I want two calipers that were both stamped "AT" that came from the same original manufacturer, I decided to order one from NAPA after I found out that is what they sold as re-manufactured calipers. I have assumed the big "R" and "L" identify which side the caliper mounts to, this could be part of my problem. The non conforming caliper had a "R" on it so I ordered a right side replacement.

I received the NAPA replacement today and it is labled with an "R" and the "AT" identification I was looking for but found if I mount it on that side the bleeder is up side down. It actually mirrors the "L" marked caliper and has confused the heck out of me.

Both the 1993 and 1997 FSM show the calipers should have the bolt hole provisions for the "boot shield inspection hole cover?".

My questions are:
  • Are the two left calipers in the picture, silver and grey, even FZJ80 FF calipers for years 93-97?
  • If so why don't they have the bolt holes for the covers?
  • Are there other differences between the rear calipers on the previously listed model years?
  • Lastly do the "R" and "L" actually stand for Right and Left? These markings are consistent with the 1993 I have.
In the picture below the two calipers on the left (silver and grey) are what I received with my custom axle. The one on the right (black) is the NAPA caliper.

I appreciate any help I can get. It will keep me up at night until I figure it out.

PA040526.JPG

Just replaced my factory right rear caliper with a napa reman. The napa reman looked exactly like the factory caliper.

Um: why don't you contact the people who provided you with the parts or the parts information? Why is this such an issue?

I guess I'm the a******.

When you spend a bit of time with Toyota part numbers, a lot of things start making sense.

8/1992-1/1998 80 Rear caliper numbers are the same even though the EPC shows otherwise.

If they are FF RR axle housing w/ disc brake rears, all you need are the following:

47730-60110
47750-60110

Any NAPA on the planet can cross reference the numbers. When you go to NAPA and pick up your parts, do the due diligence and pull the castings out of the box.

They should have the "AT" casting. If they do, you are good to go: That's a Toyota keiretsu company part for 1/3 the price vs the same damn part in a Toyota box.

That said, more than likely they are remanned someplace in Michigan. The employees remmaning these calipers might or might not be sober; just like their Japanese counterparts. ;)

Because they are just plain old folks trying to make a living: They reman calipers as best they can on a line where they see 100-300 caliper cores a day.

Every single caliper core being a different caliper core for a different vehicle.

So, goes back to what is your real question?

AT= Aisin Takaoka: They make pretty much all of your calipers, rotors and your drums; they make things like your caliper backing brackets for your rear FF axles. They also make drums as well as reinforcements for A-pillars as well as 100 series steering knuckles.

Anything that the LC world calls "Mountain" : i.e.: ^^^ put together in a casting is Aisin Takaoka.

Beno, I got the part numbers and tip for the NAPA re-manufactured calipers from you and that is why I ordered the one from them ideally to match the "L" marked "AT" caliper I already had. I was going to send the silver one back as my core. The NAPA caliper is the only one that matches the caliper on the 1993 FF axle I have for comparison. The NAPA seems to be correct. What you gave me so far was right on. Thanks You!

When the NAPA caliper showed up I noticed that it had the bolt holes for the "boot protector shield." Then I realized that both calipers one marked with the "L" and one with "R" are for the same side and they are both marked "AT".

• Does the L stand for Left and the R for Right?

I am trying to figure out what the other two calipers I have are from. One of them is marked with the "AT" but it is not exactly the same as the 80 series rear calipers as I have pointed out. What the heck are they? Any chance they came off of a FF toyota pickup axle?

The vendor I received the questionable calipers from honestly has made the entire purchase/experience hell for me and I am just tired of dealing with them at this point. If I find out that these are not even 80 series calipers I will be calling them back but I need to determine that prior to calling them. I don't expect them to figure it out for me. I am not interested in mentioning there name here but I am considering writing a review or an account of my experience in a separate thread to provide others with the information I wish I had before I placed my order.

Thanks again for the responses so far.

I gave you the part numbers. They are the correct ones. These are the numbers I have been selling for almost a decade.

Again, I'll reiterate them:

47730-60110
47750-60110

Those are the correct caliper part number for all FF rear disc 80 series brakes. 8/1992-1/1998.

No matter what anyone says to you, whatever person you are dealing with, those are the Toyota numbers you need.

Whatever source you are getting them from, if you want the Toyota stuff, they will have the the AT casting on them. From a dealer or from another source.

If they don't, then they are not even in the same damn world.

I cannot do anymore than this sir. Sorry.
Onur

Beno, I am not arguing the part numbers you provided me. No issues there. Thanks for the info you gave me to purchase them from NAPA.

I am trying to determine the application of the other two calipers pictured that were sold to me by another vendor in place of 80 series calipers. I suspect they are not 80 series because of the differences I identified earlier in the post. If you haven't seen them before no problem, I am hoping someone else on this site has seen these before on another vehicle. I like to gather the facts before I call someone and tell them they supplied me the wrong parts again.

I guess I'm the a******.

Thank you I understand. Again, I appreciate the info. you gave me.

I guess I'm the a******.

Just to clear this up. I don't know how you came to this conclusion but I wanted to make it clear that nothing in my post was negatively directed at you or any of the information you provided me. I feel like you are confusing me for someone else.

I'm not confusing anyone.

I have provided the numbers that anyone needs to use to literally get what they need (and I've done it for nothing, no gain for me) and I have even given the entire Toyota Group manufacturing reality for this very specific part situation.

Like I said, I don't know what else I can do. At a certain point you need to discuss these discrepancies with your supplier.

What else do you really need from me?

LOL awkward.

Nothing, Thank you.

As the thread title states. I am looking for help identifying the two calipers to the left in the photo. They are just slightly different than 80 series calipers. I am trying to figure out what their intended application is if not an 80 series.

Anyone else seen these before?

Just curious if the one on the right came black. I recently purchased both the rear calipers, and they came in silver. Also, as a side note,,one came with corroded holes for the dust shield. Went through the dealer, and I'm awaiting on another. Also, FYI, the PN on the box is for the left.
image.jpeg
L

Just curious if the one on the right came black. I recently purchased both the rear calipers, and they came in silver. Also, as a side note,,one came with corroded holes for the dust shield. Went through the dealer, and I'm awaiting on another. Also, FYI, the PN on the box is for the left.

The black caliper did come painted from NAPA. The caliper you have pictured, is that the left side caliper matching the part number?

Sorry, but it looks like the PN on the box is in fact for the RH and the caliper shown is also for the RH.

Sorry, but it looks like the PN on the box is in fact for the RH and the caliper shown is also for the RH.

That helps I will take that as confirmation that the stamped "R" does indeed identify the side of the vehicle the caliper should be placed on. It is the same as the napa calipers I ordered as well.

I found that the unidentified capers I received from the vendor also have a smaller piston bore than the 80 series calipers from napa. I have decided to return the mismatched set to napa as my cores for the new correct calipers I purchased. I attached comparison pictures of the markerd R and L calipers. I would still be interested in identifying them if anyone ever figures it out.

Thanks

P1010013 (2).JPG

P1010014 (2).JPG

Just to close this up it looks like miss-matched calipers I received originally are for a 2003 and newer 4runner. They mount on the rear side of the hub which is why the "L" and "R" don't conform to the landcruiser configuration.

So NAPA got the numbers mixed up, and are you able to return them?

No, NAPA sent me the correct calipers (black calipers pictured) using the part numbers provided by beno, thanks beno! I would buy these calipers again through NAPA, as they look to be OEM "AT" remanufacutered calipers and came painted.

The miss-matched (silver and grey) calipers were supplied by the vendor that built my custom axle. They were supposed to send me remanufactered 80 series calipers but decided to substitute the 4runner calipers in their place. The 4runner calipers "could" (I never have tried) be used in place of the 80 series calipers however they are slightly different. I questioned the differences because brakes are important and I want the correct brake application for the set up I am trying to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom