rear caliper bolt stuck and spins-does not pull out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got the rear caliper bolts loose from the torque plate and is now spinnng around unable to extract it so I could change the pads. The rubber bushing on the other side of the the bolt head spins with the bolt. I tried a little force trying to knock the bolt out but wonder what other things I should do before I whack the crap out of the bolt and possibly deform it. WHat do you think is happening. I loosened the caliper so the bolt is not binding between the torque plate and caliper. Thanks for the advice!

If you're talking about the sliding pins that hold the caliper to the torque plate, sometimes they get a lot of suction built up due to the grease. If you're sure that the threads are all unscrewed, use a screwdriver or small prybar to try and pop them out.

Solved it. I took a screwdriver and pryed it out while turning. I took an air wrench on the other, the vibration and the turning helped loosen it while I pryed with the screwdriver. It takes alot of coordination to push evenly on the screw head while operating a air wrench on the other side. The bolt's threads only go in about an inch and the rest is all unthreaded.

If you're talking about the sliding pins that hold the caliper to the torque plate, sometimes they get a lot of suction built up due to the grease. If you're sure that the threads are all unscrewed, use a screwdriver or small prybar to try and pop them out.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah that's the one. In my case there wasn't any grease so it was really hard to pull it out. Corrosion and the lack of lube. It was the hardest caliper bolt I ever took off.

I actually thought I stripped the bolt. Anybody know what type of lube to put in it so it comes off easier next time?

I'd be interested in other's opinions due to the heat load, but I'd use either copper based anti-sieze (which I use everywhere including caliper bolts), or possibly a bit of the brake grease that comes with the pads for the sliding caliper pins as it's obviously good in high heat.

DougM

I have a bottle of high temp silicone brake grease. It's a bright blue colour (it's nicknamed smurf lube around the shop) and is quite tacky. I used it when I rebuilt my calipers to lube the pistons/seals/O-rings. I also use a bit on the rim of each piston to reduce the rust where the pistons push on the pad, as well as lubing the sliding pins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom