Rear "Caddy" disk brake parking brake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my second Cruiser with El Dorado disk rear brakes. Stops fine (hydroboost gives it no choice) but everyone knows the parking brake sucks on this set up. Everyone knows it, so I don't need to hear it again. I'm going to run some good sized tires, so I like the fact that the disk will keep the wheels from falling off I do break an axle shaft, and they seem to do a good job stopping the truck.

I have shortened the cable as much as I can, there just isn't enough leverage from the Toyota hand brake to fully engage the brake mechanism, at best I can get it to grab enough so slow it down on a mild grade....

I'm wondering if anyone has any tricks to making the parking brake work? Don't want anything super permanent or involved, I'm going to swap this for a FF 80 series rear at some point.

Thanks!

You have pretty much answered your own question. There's not enough leverage to make it function properly.

Not a true parking/e-brake, but if all you want to do is keep the vehicle from rolling while parked you could put on line lock in your hydraulic brake system. Janky solution, but I've seen dumber s***.

I think that if you extend the cable attach tab on the parking brake handle, you can get the correct leverage. I know that Downey offroad used to sell an e-brake handle with the correct length tab to make that work. Perhaps contact Downey here on this board?

I think that if you extend the cable attach tab on the parking brake handle, you can get the correct leverage. I know that Downey offroad used to sell an e-brake handle with the correct length tab to make that work. Perhaps contact Downey here on this board?

Interesting thought, I'll track him down.

:deadhorse:
I've seen these used with success, but I've never messed with them myself. I think this is what Downey was selling ?

Lokar: Floor Mount Emergency Hand Brake

http://www.lokar.com/downloads/pdf-instructions/INS0122-FloorMountE-Brake.pdf

http://www.lokar.com/downloads/pdf-instructions/INS0009-UniversalE-Brakes.pdf

Still want those drawers ;):grinpimp:

... and I still want money for them, since you don't have the parts I need!:moon:

Thanks for the links, this might be a good option I'll look into it more.

I got plenty o' money for ya, it's just that we disagree about the denominations. :slap:

Semi Float axles ...

Roof Rack...

Kaymar rear bumper with tire swing out ...

Pictures of Melania Trump before Donnie ...

I have this setup after the caddy calipers experience ..

4066MB3

fairly good ... altho you need more leverage to make it work better ..

I got plenty o' money for ya, it's just that we disagree about the denominations. :slap:

Semi Float axles ...

Roof Rack...

Kaymar rear bumper with tire swing out ...

Pictures of Melania Trump before Donnie ...

But I don't need any of those things... I do need money, getting to the bottom of my list of things to do on this smelly hog, any money I make slinging parts goes right back into the truck without having to pass through the wife filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom