1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rear bumper w/hitch?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by LukeO, Jul 24, 2005.

1. LukeO

LukeO

Can a 2" receiver be attached to/within the Hanna/Slee bumpers? Without killing clearance?

Or should I ask, has it been done?

2. Boston Mangler

Boston Mangler

Slee now offeres one with a 2" Reciever "Option"

Personally, I am waiting to see complete installed pics before i make my decision, but i am sure if its coming from Christo, its going to be good!

3. LukeO

LukeO

any idea

Any idea if the receiver will be within the bumper or below on the Slee?

I've considered the Kaymar, but the hitch is lower than the bumper itself and I'm not sure about the strength of the bumper itself compared to Hanna/Slee. Besides the one guy I knew that had the Kaymar had a big rust issue as in the powder coat did not last even 6 months and it rusted real bad all over.

I have the hitch under my stock bumper now and am rather tired of scraping.

I don't trailer a lot but do enough, besides I'd also like to put a bike rack on the back simply because it's a bit of a pain in the ass loading my mtb on top.

4. Boston Mangler

Boston Mangler

Not sure if it is within or below, i am guessing below, but dont quote me on that. That is why i am waiting for pictures!

I am going to go look at Brentbba's Kaymar today. I want to take a look at my 2 next big purchases (sliders and rear bumper) in person, before i buy them.

In person, i want to compare the Hanna and Slee Sliders and the Kaymar, Slee and Hanna Bumpers/Carrier

This is my .02

Last edited: Jul 24, 2005
  5. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

Cdan has done a mod to his Slee to add a hitch. Search for his ROTW thread.

I do have the Kaymar. Steel used isn't quite as beefy as bumpers I've seen from Slee and Hanna. Don't have pic here at work. Maybe Boston Mangler can post up some for you. He was up yesterday and snapped several pics of the Kaymar. The receiver does come down right in the center enough for the 2" receiver. It's well protected tho and is 4" higher than my old OEM hitch. I base that, not on measurements from the ground but the fact that I had to go from a std 2" drop receiver to a 6" to level my trailer out with the Kaymar.

The way I see it, until either Ken or Christo comes out with something (if they do), you have two choices if you want to replace your OEM rear bumper/hitch, Kaymar or fab something on Hanna or Slee.

6. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

the question could be how heavy a load you will be towing or carrying.
    Surely for bikes you could just use the bolt-on receiver that goes into the 4 holes.
    For towing, you'd have to talk to Christo or Ken and see what they recommend would be the max load you could put on there.

7. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor

The 1st prototype of the recevier is done. I will fit through the center of the bumper. It will require cutting a hole between the existing 4 bolt holes in the rear cross member. The receiver will be supported at the back by support brackets that bolt to the side of the the frame.

Pictures soon, but the idea is simmilar to CDan's mod.

8. Brentbba

:censor: You're about 6 months too late Christo! hehehe :D Does Dan get a commission? :idea:

9. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor

Yes, I already sent him his 0.02c for the idea :D

10. Brentbba

LOL! :D

11. Boston Mangler

Boston Mangler

Cool, i will be in the market for a rear bumper soon and look forward to seeing these pics! Thanks

As for the Kaymar, i have to run to a meeting but could post pics later if ya want