Rear bumper/tire carrier tailgate issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
Looking at all of these sick rear bumper with tire carriers has gotten me and I am sure everyone that is looking at them interested in one... However, I use my truck as a work truck, and frequently have the tailgate down with wood, etc... in the back. How does that work with a swingout tire carrier? Just wondering...

Joel

You do have to swing out the tire carrier everytime you want access to the rear. On my old 80, I kept the spare on the roof rack for this very reason (oh yeah, I didn't have a bumper with a swingout either;)).

I have Slee's rear bumper/carrier on mine. It has a large pin that locks the swingout when opened fully (to keep it from crashing back into the bumper if opened off-camber). Can't speak to the strength of the pin if you are traveling off-road with a load of timber and the tail gate down, but I once forgot to close the carrier after leaving the car wash and was traveling down the interstate when a passerby honked their horn to alert me the swingarm was opened! Had been on the road for about 20 miles. No wonder I could see something other than NITTO out the back glass...:)

thanks for the reply, guys. I feel like this is my only reservation going the rear bumper with swingout route. I like the "function" of the tailgate, and I wouldn't like to limit it with a swingout that didn't lock. Great news.... BTW slee has a pretty sweet rear bumper for sale.

Joel

It is a pain to have to open the swingarms (I have 2). Besides the time it takes, it's not so much the pin but more the latch, which is pretty tight on mine and takes some notable level of pulling / pushing.

Yup, it would get to be a serious pain if you have to open the rear 10 times a day...

Ditto from e quad 9 comment. I actually avoid using my rear storage area because the swing out tire carrier is downright painful to move.

If I was going to use it often, like you say, I would probably look for an alternative. A solid rear iron bumper without the tire carrier and then store the tire on a solid roof rack.

Cheers.

CD

I too have driven off with the Slee carrier open :doh: It is not a good idea because the pin is not strong enough to hold when the vehicle is in motion and the bumper is not trussed to support a bouncing open carrier, with a ~100 lb tire on it, while the vehicle is in motion.

It would be really nice to have a removable rear swing-out system is for the times when you need to haul plywood or when you can throw the spare in a trailer on a camping trip. I really want to work something out with a rear swing-out bumper, but I'm not sure if I want it on there all the time.

Swing out tire carriers that fit into the trailer receiver do exist which can be removed.

I thought I was the only one who feels there rear tire carrier is a pain in the butt. I have often consider taken it off cause I use the back so much. There might be a a Kaymar for sale soon.

When I built the tire-carrier on my old Cherokee I made the swingarms(2) 100% removeable so that I didn't have to deal with opening them all the time to get in the back. On long trips, it took 5 mins to drop the swing arms into place, the rest of the time they sat in the garage and the spare went in the cargo area.

Ary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom