Rear bumper swing out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m just curious on how people’s swing outs are. With all the weight that we carry I’m just wondering if my single is to heavy and should I fabricate it to a dual. So if you can help me by answering a couple of questions so that I can get an idea of how yours are doing

brand of bumpers?
tires sizes?
how long you owned it?
how’s it holding up?
Dual or single swing out?
What do you carry on your swing out?

Here’s mine 4x4 labs, 37 KM3 raceline beadlocks with 5lb propane bottle inside rim, dual bin carrier With full tank of gas/water, and a little shovel. When I swing it open it does drop about 1/2 inches. I’ve had this bumper for about 3 years and I built it. Welds are holding up pretty strong. Overall pretty happy with it all but now thinking about fabricating It to dual swing outs.
285A9967-EC87-4E2E-B670-DDFD391B8484.jpeg
ED14FD7B-3CF9-4049-9252-E727D7A55187.jpeg

EBDB1D65-F2E2-455C-91D5-C2BBC86421A4.jpeg

I also have the option of just running the rear tire in the center if I don’t have to bring the jerry cans out because the labs rear bumper is modular.
5FF28364-5A0D-4086-86DA-D99B98D9288F.jpeg

Last edited:
I got away from even a dual swingout to carry my spare. On road? Who cares. Off road? Pretty rough to have a spare bouncing around

I thought the 4x4Labs tire carrier doesn't move around much...

@cybrstar, duals might be the move especially with 37s. I ordered duals for my 4x4Labs rear bumper but I only intend on running 33s. Haven't decided what to use the second swing out for yet.

I thought the 4x4Labs tire carrier doesn't move around much...

@cybrstar, duals might be the move especially with 37s. I ordered duals for my 4x4Labs rear bumper but I only intend on running 33s. Haven't decided what to use the second swing out for yet.
It wiggles

I built my own 3 years ago. I made a mockup in cardboard, measured each piece of cardboard to recreate in a 2D cad drawing, got that laser cut at a fab shop, used 1/4" across the back, 3/16" wings, 3/8" for the mounting plates/recovery hooks, 2 big spindles from some 4x4 shop, swing outs are built using 2x2x.120 square and 1.5x.120 round pipe, a Destaco latch each to hold them closed, some cheapo Chinese LEDs, a cheap trailer receiver tube and then all covered in Raptor. I had plans for making a vertical bike carrier for the ladder side, but never got around to it.

I don't like how much the 35" tire wobbles while driving on rough stuff. No cracks that I can tell though, and it works just fine, so I've learned to live with the shake.

WHEN I redo it, I'd use thicker steel more into the corners, layout the latches differently so they pull forward into the truck better, and not say "i'l do the accessory carriers later." I wouldn't bother with the money on spindles either, I'll probably use a 1" bolt with some brass bushings in double shear through a dom sleeve in a piece of 2x3. Spindles were like $200 by the time I got them.

20200419_151936.jpg
20200419_151948.jpg

They all do

Correct and mine do as well. I've yet to see one that didn't. Go slap the tire on any tire carrier and it'll wiggle, shimmy and shake. The larger the tire the more you see it. Mine hardly moves on pavement unless you hit a pothole or hard break in the road, but washboard roads, hitting whoops at 35MPH... it moves.

I've made them out of thicker material, cross, horiz and vert braced everything, you name it. It's not the bumper itself that is moving but the swing arm twisting/flexing at the spindle. The closer you get the load/tire to the spindle the less it moves. My bumper bases do not move when the tire is wiggling, its just the arm.

I've slapped the tires on every tire carrier I've seen from Canada to Australia and on most every offroad make and model vehicle out there. Anyone that says theirs doesn't......... well I'll just leave that here and let @nukegoat call BS for me.

Jason

I’m in the middle of building my own. Not very far along yet, and no big plan really just winging it.
034ABE1F-7C1B-4830-B914-F1B4B80E5A9F.png

4B5BFD81-5B93-483E-9B09-69D0F1C12249.png

It is 2x2 3/16, and so far has a pull pin to hold it shut and you can see where the destaco latch will go. Plan on the tire being centered.
I purposely have a very slight upward slope to the arm, so it might sit better with weight on it.
It sits 1/2in above the bumper, with 2 “feet” that fill the gap and will clamp against the bumper with the toggle clamp (marked in yellow on eac end)

If anyone sees any big mistakes/ design flaws, I’m definitely open to suggestions.

What do you guys with experience in building these think?

Awesome I’ll check it out. Thanks

I agree with the comments about tire wiggle above, but I will add that I've noticed some of the motion comes from frame flex, not just bumper or tire carrier. You can beef up the bumper all you want, it's still bolting onto a 1/8" (ish) thick frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom