Rear Bumper swing out builds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been laboring for several years over options for rear swing outs on my Kaymar bumper. Of course one is carrying my tire and jack. I just didn't care for the Kaymar option on the gas can and the way the jack attachment holds the jack out and low. I do a fare bit of camping and figure that if you have the ride why not carry a larger stove than a backpacking stove. This prompted me to want to carry a propane cylinder that could be refilled and operate as a longer term solution than the 1 litter canisters that fill up the landfill. I also wanted to have the option to carry 2 gas cans and a H2O jug as well. Yeah I know, it is a lot of weight but my family uses the truck somewhat as a RV. Don't get me wrong we still like to wheel too.
Here is my beginnings of the task. I would like to encourage others to post up other unique builds of there swing outs. Hopefully we can all get some good ideas from such a thread. I know I have looked for more than I found.
Gas carriers are still in the works. Here is the Propane tank and the ladder. The plan is to have everything be modular so that I may leave what I don't need for an outing.
Copy of DSCN6629.jpg
DSCN6630.jpg
DSCN6632.jpg

Swing out build

Here are 2 more
DSCN6631.jpg
DSCN6633.jpg

Great job! I too am planning on a rear bumper build. I hope lots of people post up. I need ideas. Thanks

For fuel cans I made a basket that clips to two of the ladder rungs. When I want it I just slip it on and put a couple bolts to secure it on and I'm good to go. I have other accessories that I'm planning to build off the ladder also. Very modular.

I really like the modular approach, as it seems that my needs change every other week. Although, I do like the gas tank holder. Very nice. I have thought of a lower hung (just above the bumper) platform to hold a larger ice chest, as it seems that when we pack it inside, it leaks and the thing is just too heavy to try and place on the roof. I have done this, but wow is it a pain getting it moved when it is full! I know it would be a lot of weight, but I am not sure where else to put it. With 4 kids, we go through the food when camping 4-5 days.

Here is a swing out that I recently built for my 80. I wanted a single swing out to make it quicker/easier to get into the back, modular design for the fuel can holder (bolts to bumper) and a receiver hitch in the spare tire carrier (to add on other items like bike racks, shovel and ax mount, etc). So far I am very happy with it.

fj80swingout.jpg

Heres my modular one-

brief details:
-about 90lbs
- Dom 2"
-bolt on (uses all stock frame top and stock hitch mounting threaded holes)
-crossmember brace and receiver. Wings support to corners
- 3500lb spindles
-diy bike rack/shower/ arb fridge mount.
-sticks out 3.5 inches from furthest point at tailights (less in middle due to curvature of the rear end. wraparound has slight curve to match)

About 2" shallower/ better clearance than the 4x4labs due to the scallopped areas under taillights. Swingouts are about 1" recessed behind the wraparound for protection of swingouts in fender bender scenarios. (happened at safeway parking lot already and no contact with the swingout.). Tire set up real high for that very scenario so rear window doesnt get smashed in fender bender with your avg suv. 44" from ground to spare tire bottom with OME low lift and 33.5" tires..
Gerstle Park Vict 018 (Medium).jpg
Gerstle Park Vict 019 (Medium).jpg
Gerstle Park Vict 020 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Man... that is one of the tightest to body bumpers I have seen.

dual gas can carrier

Well... I got a bit more done toniight. Positioned everything for a photo how it will sit together.
swing out build 018.jpg

Wont having the basket in front of the ladder essentially make the ladder useless? Or will it swing out t allow access?

It will be removable by loosening bolts. I like the swing away idea though. Its only draw backs are the fact that a hinge or spindle would most likely be something that would not be modular. Then I would have to be caring the dual gas carriers all the time. I am hoping to keep it open so I can make other attachments. One can Carrier, Grill, Table...?

I have this so far... Hope to get to my shop soon and add to it! The fact that it is 8 hrs away makes it difficult!
DSC_0215.jpg

Gas Carrier

Got a little more done this Sunday.
swing out build 039.jpg
swing out build 041.jpg
swing out build 042.jpg

More pics

Two More
swing out build 038.jpg
swing out build 044.jpg

PM Sent

Users who are viewing this thread