Rear bumper recovery point (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy, looking for a way to pull cruiser from rear and the bumper doesn't have much to connect to. Any good ideas? ('76 fj40)

are you pulling out of mud? or are you pulling it a long way? or are you pulling it up over something? some more info might be good,

y not use the shackle, or axle.

not the axle!!! you need to do some welding on your bumper!!

Is welding on the bumper pretty much the only option? I can but its stock and in nice shape so trying to avoid that. ;)

If by rear bumper you mean rear cross member (thats all I have) then why can't you install the rear hitch receivers (bolt onto stock holes in the rear x-member) and use a hitch-receiver shackle?

Or just bolt up some shackles to the rear cross member and use some backing plates if you're worried they may pull thru. Or buy those shackle hangers that CCOT sells and weld them on.

AndrewT

Something like this set-up:

Last edited:
NJFJ40 said:
Something like this set-up:

NOOOO... That exerts a twisting force on the rear cross member. It WILL warp it and twist the hell out of it with any good hard yank.

Use the existing holes in the rear cross member to install a pintle hook. It will bolt right on, that's whjat the holkes are spaced for. It is preferable to reinforce the crossmember with at least a quarter inch plate on the back side. I also put a 2x2/3 by about a foot long gusset behind the crossmember. Located laterally, right between the upper and lower bolt holes.

THsi should handle most snatch runs that you will ever subject the rig to. I prefer to also add a rear bumper of 3x4 sqautre tube with a 3/16 wall section. Sleeve it where the bolts for the puntle go through and tie it to the longetudinal fraem rails too. Other wise it is still possible to pucker/bow the centerof the rear crossmemebr outward with repeated vigorous snatch runs.

Mark...

Thanks. Any suggestions on where to get the pintle that will work with this? I dont know if they all have same bolt pattern...? TA

Here is a pic to help Mark W out:
DSC00341.JPG

ChuckD said:
Thanks. Any suggestions on where to get the pintle that will work with this? I dont know if they all have same bolt pattern...? TA

Every pintle I have ever seen has the same pattern. At least the ones on the class that you would want on the back of the Cruiser (there are some BIG pintles available!).

I get all of mine at a local mil-surplus dealer, but you can get them at any sort of heavy truck, farm or industrial supply house. Mail order too.

Mark...

Be sure to beef it up. When I bought my 40, it had (still has) this great big piece of angle welded on the back with the hitch welded to it. Looks like crap. When I was working underneath I notice that the rear cross member was bent really bad! I'll bet the PO tried to "jerk" something and it bent, then he welded the angle on to fix it....

Northern Tool carries a Combo-pintle that I run on my truck. It has a trailer ball, but also the latch for a standard pintle loop.

I really like that d-ring loop. Probably replace my pintle with one of those one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom