Rear bumper on a 45L Truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arnott1t

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for some rear bumper ideas on a 45 truck. Just finished my front one up and want something for the rear. Lets see what you folks have done.

Thanks,
Tyler

First, lets see your front one.

Here is the front one

Please pardon the sweet wallpaper in my room. I'm renting and this was the last room availible. Here are some pics.
bumper001.jpg

Side View
bumper005.jpg

extra
bumper003.jpg

Made using 5" channel that has been beveled on the ends. Its 48" wide.
The two upright plates are 3/4" thick with 1.5" sch80 tube.
Its heavier than i hoped but all the metal was scrap from work. Needs a little more clean up then some paint. Waiting to build a back one first though before paint. Paint everything at once. Including my new shackles.

Thanks,
Tyler

Looks good, now let's see the truck it belongs to...

Here's the only picture I have of a rear bumper on this computer. It's a TLC one. I think a swing out is not necessary if you have a pick-up bed. I am planning on sticking an FJ60 or FJ55 tire carrier up under the bed of mine.

Last edited:
I like em so far. Looks good. Real good. I'm thinking of something like the last one. Keep it tight up to the bottom of the bed. I like the wrap around stuff too. Maybe 3" channel with some angles. Have to see. With a reciever hitch.

Should be good
Thanks,
Tyler

here's my shorty's bumper...i like it
k
P8090002.JPG

I just pull a similar step bumper off of my LV last night. I think I'm gonna keep it and stick it on my 45-trailer.

Picture of mine

Here's a picture of the one that I recently built for my 1967 FJ45LPB. Made out of 4" OD Sch 40 pipe. Plasma cut down the seam and another one parrallel. Flipped the moonshape and wled back up in jigged stages to prevent warping. The wall on this piece is 3/8". The rest of the mounting frame is cut and fabbed out of 3"8" flat stock. It boxes the rear seaction of the frame completely with counter sunk holes on the inside to fit snuggly against the frame with the buck rivets. Built in receiver, with hole punched gussets for chains. The single holes on either side are where the bolt on rock sliders attach. (I will upload pictures of them next time I go wheeling and throw them on).
H8mud pics.JPG
H8mud pics1.JPG
bumper.JPG

Some more pics

The bolt on rear rock sliders bolt up to the frame of the bumper. 2 front mounts, and one rear mount via 1/2" grade 8 hardware.
bumper2.JPG
bumper 3.JPG

FJ45 Rear bumper

I used 3x6 box section, with tapered/welded end caps and a step-bumper receiver hitch welded to the bottom. It's braced against the rear crossmember and to the frame rails. Coated with cheapie roll on bedliner. See (hopefully) attached picture.

Steve
fj45_rear_close_done.jpg

All this bumper talk, so I got busy last night and today fabbing one up. been meaning to for a while so I had some ideas and a few things I wanted to incorporate...fj40 rear reflectors(since there are none on the LWB 45's), bumperettes(like the retro look and the truck doesnt get wheeled). Also in the process of adding the reciever hitch, and using an early FJ40 license plate light that will be in a little 'doghouse' above the plate.
bumper1-rs.JPG
bumper2-rs.JPG

Brett, I like that. Did you change your hinges over to the newer style? I thought that style of hinge was only on the 4-hinge gates?

Mine have two vertical holes on the lower half of the hinge. The "new" ones are like yours, two horizontal holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom