Rear bumper headache - which current options retain full OE tow rating? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Kinda shopping rear bumpers again. I do need to retain the full 6500 tow rating, and I do understand that none of these are "officially" rated but due to their construction we can feel confident in their ability to handle a trailer.

Which rear bumper options can tow as much as the factory tow hitch (class IV, vehicle rated to tow 6500lbs).

I think:
4x4 Labs
Latest no cut Dissent (also retains ability to keep spare underneath truck, another plus to me).

Any others? I wasn't sure about the ARB but I think it might be good to tow as well.

I know there are a hundred rear bumper threads, I apologize for another - but due to the volume and different years they were posting I couldn't quite nail down all the currently available options that meet my tow needs.

I actually ordered one so I will let you know once it arrives.

Dobinsons.JPG

Kinda shopping rear bumpers again. I do need to retain the full 6500 tow rating, and I do understand that none of these are "officially" rated but due to their construction we can feel confident in their ability to handle a trailer.

Which rear bumper options can tow as much as the factory tow hitch (class IV, vehicle rated to tow 6500lbs).

I think:
4x4 Labs
Latest no cut Dissent (also retains ability to keep spare underneath truck, another plus to me).

Any others? I wasn't sure about the ARB but I think it might be good to tow as well.

I know there are a hundred rear bumper threads, I apologize for another - but due to the volume and different years they were posting I couldn't quite nail down all the currently available options that meet my tow needs.

I dont think any aftermarket fabricator that offers an optional built in receiver for their bumper will confirm or conform to a capacity rating. Its a liability issue and expensive undertaking to obtain said rating.

If you truly need a "rated" tow capacity at 6500lbs (that is your maximum tow capacity) you'll need to narrow your search for a bumper that will allow you to retain a class IV tow hitch mounted to the frame. Anything but that puts you at risk for increased liability, potentially an "out" for your insurance company to deny a claim in the event of a component failure that leads to injury or property damage.

I think:
4x4 Labs

The ARB bumper has a class 3 tow rating for 5,000 lbs. Same for Kaymar, too, I think.

I dont think any aftermarket fabricator that offers an optional built in receiver for their bumper will confirm or conform to a capacity rating. Its a liability issue and expensive undertaking to obtain said rating.

If you truly need a "rated" tow capacity at 6500lbs (that is your maximum tow capacity) you'll need to narrow your search for a bumper that will allow you to retain a class IV tow hitch mounted to the frame. Anything but that puts you at risk for increased liability, potentially an "out" for your insurance company to deny a claim in the event of a component failure that leads to injury or property damage.

I agree with you that retaining the factory tow hitch is known, proven, and free of risk. However, there are aftermarket bumpers that are well constructed and bolt directly to the frame. I know that I was told by Dissent that their no cut rear bumper retains the factory tow rating - although they only towed a bit with it themselves and there is no industry certification. I was hoping some one here might share their personal opinion of their bumper's beefiness, and perhaps their tow experiences.

Offhand, I don't recall seeing any aftermarket bumpers that retained the factory tow hitch but I may have missed them since I wasnt looking specifically for that. If anyone know which bumpers allow for that, I'll consider those as well.

Victory 4x4 just came out with a new rear bumper with integrated hitch. Since it’s so new I don’t think the two capacity has ever been tested by any members. Maybe they did some in development or maybe others far more knowledgeable than me can compare the construction to dissent’s

SLEE. I've towed up to 6500lbs with it just fine and it also gives you the option to run a standard hitch receiver under it as well.

The Slee is held on by 12 bolts I think. It's pretty stout. Having said that I could see an insurance company denying your claim since Slee has a disclaimer that it's not meant for towing. They're just covering their butts but the world is as it is. YMMV.

Heard & read good things about the BIOR rear bumper. You can get it with an integrated hitch, but I believe both the bolt-on and high clearance versions are also compatible with the factory tow hitch so it doesn't change the tow capacity of the truck. Once again he says it's not intended for towing but that's to release himself from any liability. Mike's a great fabricator and I have his front bumper.

As for towing with the BIOR bumper, I pulled my 5000lb trailer on an 8500mile road trip, that included a lot of offroad and had zero problems with it. The bumper looks strong enough to be able to tow 5 times that weight IMHO.

You need to put some thought into where you want to put the trailer electric receiver though. At first I had mine mounted under the bumper, but the first ass drag offroad ripped it off. So now I have it tucked up behind the bumper so it doesn't get hit if I ass drag (which indecently the bumper has had several times where I was high-centered on a bolder with the bumper lifting the rear, and other than some powder coat damage the bumper is dent free). The only problem with placing the electrical receiver there is that you need to buy an extension so your trailer wires will reach (I didn't and first time I went around a corner it ripped the wires out of the plug). But those placement issues would be the same for any bumper, not just BIOR, unless the bumper was made with a hole drilled to fit the plug receiver.

Another happy BIOR customer here. I am also a big fan of my BIOR front bumper and skid plates.
I'm looking at BIOR rear bumper options and curious how folks deal with towing and armored bumpers. I would like to retain the ability tow the full allowable capacity. I tow my Supra from time to time which is right around 6000 lbs with a full car trailer.

Of course, nearly all armored bumpers are not rated for any towing at all. That doesn't mean they can't tow safely, but it does mean it's hard to say exactly what they can handle and if an incident occurred you could be looking at some serious liability. I spoke with Mike of BIOR (nice guy, BTW) and he was unsure if a regular factory-configured hitch would still install under the BIOR bumper if the integrated hitch option was chosen on the BIOR bumper.

Who out there has experience with towing an armored 100 series near its limit and what do you do? Does a rated hitch install under the bumper?

I've searched and found old threads about Slee, but not BIOR.

Fill me in, what's the deal guys and gals?!
I have a BIOR rear with hitch and happily tow my 2200-2500lb trailer with it and would have no qualms towing more.

I would buy the BIOR and tow and not worry about the factory hitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom