Rear Bumper Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A local and quite skilled fabricator that specializes in off-road builds here in Albuquerque is in the process of building armor for my 60. Here are a couple of pics of the dual swing out bumper he is building. I will post as it becomes more complete. Thanks.
Bump1.jpg
Bump2.jpg

me likes it.

nice ... what thickness plate is he using? anything under the rear quarters? i plan something similiar in the not to distant future...

Once it is done, I will get all the specs and post for all. I will also take some detailed construction pics.

Two swing outs: The plan is to have the driver's side the tire and the passenger side interchangeable. I would like to have options to put a ladder, jerry cans, etc, within a couple of minutes. I am thinking some type of pin system for quick add on/removal? For now it will be a "dead arm" and I will get it all figured out soon.

Type of weld: I have no idea, but will ask. This guy has built some desert type offroad vehicles that are crazy nice. He was recommended by a friend who had him put a crazy suspension on his Titan that is done up in the desert offroad style.

Update with PICS

Almost done. I am wondering if I should go powder coat or Line-X. The builder is going to add tow points. I am also going to get a hi-jack mount to go next to the tire and probably get a ladder built for the second swing arm?
DSCF2110.jpg
DSCF2111.jpg
DSCF2113.jpg

it doesnt look like there is much room for a ladder with the spare centered like that. killer lookin bumper though.

it doesnt look like there is much room for a ladder with the spare centered like that. killer lookin bumper though.

He could do some crafty tube bends and make it work. You right though, it appears to be less than adequate space, but this guy is good. I also thought about keeping it simple and just doing the jerry can thing?

Any update on this thread? I am starting my build this weekend and am looking for some more ideas.

Very nice and clean. I like it. Do you plan on adding any quarter panel protection at all? I like the fact that you've kept towing in mind. Does it use its own crossmember to provide extra strength for towing? Seeing as the latches are so close to the opening for the tongue, are you going to be able to open and close them with a tongue in place?

I'd love to build my own bumper from scratch, but I honestly doubt I'd come out with a product I really like. At this point I plan on getting a dual pivot kit from Luke at 4x4Labs. It's got everything I want, and complements a 60 series awesomely.

Appearance-wise, yours actually looks like it could've been a Toyota-designed rear bumper. You should get it powdercoated and get TRD laser etched onto it somewhere :D

If you don't mind telling, what're you paying for this setup?

Last edited:
looks nice!!! what size metal did you go with? what happens to your lock down brackets when bottom out on the bumper or back into something that wont move??

Please refer to the pic. Here is my BJ60 before I got 35inch BFGs.
With reference to your ladder problem owing to the center placement of the spare wheel, I would suggest going for a 'less is more' approach. If functionality is the only objective here then try out what I've highlighted in the pic attached. Just my two cents.
8.jpg

I'd like to see it too. He must have some, check out his avatar. The bumper is painted....

Don't hold out on us ssgtange :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom