Rear Bump Stop Bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I wanna install the rear bump stop extensions I got but really don't know how to take off those bolts without snapping them. These bolts never been taken off. I am afraid I will end up with half of the bolt stuck in the frame and the other half broken. Then I have to drill/tap and it will end up like a 12 X 1.25 bolt or some thing thicker. Question is, what's the best way to take out those bolts without breaking them? Or I don't really have a choice? :cheers:

Spray the bolts with a straw through the frame with PB blaster. You can remove the plastic covers which give you small holes to spray into the frame with a straw. Let it sit for a day and repeat the sprays. Then use a propane torch and heat it up to remove them.

Heat and penetrating oil. But if you do snap one off, skip the bolt extractor step and just go straight to drilling. Start with a small drill bit, and then get bigger to something almost as big as the 8mm bolt, and get most of the bolt remnant out. Then run a same-size tap through the hole to clean out what is left in the threads and it should push it out through the top of the welded nut, or loosen it enough so that it falls out when you pull the tap back out.

This worked for me on the two I snapped off.

But if you do snap one off, skip the bolt extractor step and just go straight to drilling.

Yep, that's what's been going on every time I try to take off a frozen bolt. I'ma try what Rwhat suggested and take it from there.

Thanks

BTW the tap is 8x1.25. I used 75 mm long bolts for my 2" extensions on the bump stops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom